Assistant Ward Clerk access

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
benjamincarleski

Assistant Ward Clerk access

Post by benjamincarleski »

I was looking at the access rights for the Assistant Ward Clerk position in the Leader and Clerk Resources, and it appeared that it had less access than the Assistant Ward Clerk - Membership (it had everything except Edit Membership). In our ward this calling (which I am called to) is a backfill for both the membership clerk, the finance clerk, and to help the Ward Clerk with other duties as needed. As such, I need (and we have assigned in MLS) the same level of access as both other assistant ward clerks.

I'm curious as to what was envisioned for this position when it was given a more restrictive permission set. I see this as either a backfill position, or a position you might call someone to when you didn't have enough membership for both assistant clerks, and so I'm confused as to why it would be restricted. If anyone can shine some light on that, I would appreciate it.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

According to the Handbook, there is no calling for "Membership Clerk" or "Finance Clerk". So no one should be called to a position with those names. There is simply the calling of an assistant clerk. Now the Handbook does contain several references to an assistant clerk assigned to finances. That says to me that the calling of assistant clerk is a base calling, to which assignments may be added.

There is no reason you can't have multiple callings in MLS. If your bishop has asked you to perform membership and/or financial duties, then he can specify that you should have those callings in MLS. Then you will have the permissions you need to accomplish your assignments. It does mean that you will show up more than once in the leadership lists of the Directory on lds.org, but that's not a problem.

One current oddity is that the finance area currently has no permissions on lds.org. So in terms of lds.org permissions, we currently have "Assistant Clerk - Membership" > "Assistant Clerk" > "Assistant Clerk - Finance". So for lds.org permissions, there's no reason right now to have the extra finance calling.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

I'm not sure where you're looking, but I just checked the access table and there is no difference between the edit privileges of the assistant ward clerk and the assistant ward clerk - membership. The only difference I did note was that the one for membership can also view membership records while the assistant ward clerk cannot.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

The simple follow-up, then, is if there is some access online the assistant ward clerk - membership has the you need to do your calling, for now just list yourself as an assistant ward clerk - membership in MLS as well as assistant ward clerk.

To have the online access changed, you'll have to submit that request through the lds.org feedback.

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”