"Unauthorized" send/receive after MLS migration

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
archimedez

"Unauthorized" send/receive after MLS migration

Post by archimedez »

I have a Ward that consistently receives an "unauthorized" error when trying to connect to MLS. We migrated this Unit to a new PC, using the MLS Backup/Restore feature.
Double-checked the Unit Id, user accounts, etc: can find no reason for this error.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

archimedez wrote:I have a Ward that consistently receives an "unauthorized" error when trying to connect to MLS. We migrated this Unit to a new PC, using the MLS Backup/Restore feature.
Double-checked the Unit Id, user accounts, etc: can find no reason for this error.

There is a security mechanism built into the MLS Send/Receive process. When you install MLS onto a new computer and restore a backup to it, you have to call Local Unit Support to request a "Security Reset." Do that, and you'll immediately be able to do a Send/Receive.

Once you've done restored a backup on the new PC, and reset the security, you you'll no longer be able to do a Send/Receive on the old computer (which of course is a bad idea anyway, once you've restored the backup on your new computer.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

Also note that due to the lack of the needed support personnel on duty over the weekend that the security reset can only be accomplished Monday through Friday business hours.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

jdlessley,

I'm not sure I'd say it is a lack of needed support personnel on duty over the weekend. I think the MLS group chooses not to make it available over the weekend. Just my own 2 cents after migrating 13 computers last year, and trying to do most of them on a Sunday... I wish the GSD could perform that operation, and I made a specific enhancement request for that to happen.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”