Merging Member donor records

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
khasay12

Merging Member donor records

Post by khasay12 »

I tried to merge husband and wife donors (in "add update donors") and was not allowed to do so. I received an error message indicating that you can not merge member donors. Have the rules changed. I am quite sure that I have done it before.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

khasay wrote:I tried to merge husband and wife donors (in "add update donors") and was not allowed to do so. I received an error message indicating that you can not merge member donors. Have the rules changed. I am quite sure that I have done it before.

This has not been possible since the release of MLS 3.2 in June 2010. At that point the rules were changed so that a donor record has only the name from the linked membership record. And a donor record cannot be linked to more than one membership record. That's why the system is not allowing you to do the merge you are attempting.

But in any case, you don't need to do such a merge anyway. Instead, when you are editing the husband's donor record, check the box for including the spouse on statements. Then both names will be included on donation statements (including tithing settlement statements), even though the donations are all connected to the husband's name. Or you can do the reverse, and have all the donations linked to the wife's name, and check the "include spouse" box on her donor record.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
khasay12

Post by khasay12 »

I tried that earlier. I checked that option on the husbands name, and the two records were still printed out separately on the tithing settlement statements, even though they appeared to be combined in the list on the "print household" option. In other words, when I tried to print the donor reports under the household option, the name appeared as "John and Sue Someone" but the two records were printed out separately. I did not try the reverse option. I will do that in the morning. Only three donations are involved. Maybe I could make the changes in the three batches.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

If donations were entered for both the spouses they will be printed separately. But if all donations were entered under only one then the other can be checked to be included in the other's report.

To get both on one statement one's donations will have to be edited to change the donor to the spouse.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
khasay12

Post by khasay12 »

Thank you. I will go to the appropriate batches and make the edits.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

I would only caution you to make sure the changes match the Tithing Slips unless you speak with the members. We have a few families in our ward where the Husband and Wife pay tithing separately. As a Clerk, my responsibility is to ensure the funds are deposited as noted on the Tithing and Donations Slip. We should not try to second-guess the reasoning why husbands and wives are recording the slips differently.

If they "want" you to merge the records, that's fine. If they are filing their taxes jointly, there is no problem with them adding two Tithing reports (one for each spouse). But, if they are filing separately, they will need the records to be separate.
tylerchristensen

Post by tylerchristensen »

Can you explain where you edit the husband's donor record to select the check box for including the spouse on the statements? I have a family who has asked to have the spouse's name included on the year-end statement and I would like to reprint a statement with both the husband and wife's name on it but I am unsure where to go to select the check box you mentioned in your post.

Thank you in advance,

Tyler Christensen
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

tylerchristensen wrote:Can you explain where you edit the husband's donor record to select the check box for including the spouse on the statements?
Go to Finance > Add/Update Donors, then either use "Find Donor" or scroll to the name and click the donor name. When the donor record popup appears the "Show spouse on donor report" is just below the donor's name text box.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
rcajmm

Re: Merging Member donor records

Post by rcajmm »

As a former stake clerk and now an auditor, I was instructed that all donation names should be entered into the MLS should be exactly as it is on the white donation slip. Now I am being told by the current stake clerk that it is just put in as the head of household listed in the MLS. Also I am being told this took place a couple of years ago and no one can show me the directive from the church. So I have been making wards go in and change the MLS to match the white slips, am I wrong and creating alot of work for my clerks?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Merging Member donor records

Post by russellhltn »

rcajmm wrote:So I have been making wards go in and change the MLS to match the white slips, am I wrong and creating alot of work for my clerks?
This post indicates that donor names for linked records will automatically change to become the name on the membership record.

Note that by church policy, the full name (not preferred name) on the membership record should be the member's legal name.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”