Our Stake's webcast audio problems

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
allenjblodgett

Our Stake's webcast audio problems

Post by allenjblodgett »

We were able to get sound for the webcast, but it wasn't that great, though. We had problems connecting the sound box to the satellite box. You'll laugh at this, our temporary fix was to have a mic placed right underneath the speaker in the library, it hooked into the sound board that the FM group was supposed have picked up several months ago, then that went into the webcast box. I was in the stake center in the choir, so I did not know at the time how it was in other locations, but according to my parents, the sound was very low.

Does anybody know how to connect the sound system box to the satellite box for future events?

Thanks
Allen
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

When you say "sound box", are you talking about the chapel sound system, or the web cast box?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
allenjblodgett

Post by allenjblodgett »

RussellHltn wrote:When you say "sound box", are you talking about the chapel sound system, or the web cast box?
Sound system for the building
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

If your chapel is anything like the other chapels I've seen, there's a control by the main on/off switch labeled "Satellite". Just activate and adjust as needed.

Edit: you can read more in the Wiki Sound system audio (meetinghouses)
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

AllenBlodgett wrote:Does anybody know how to connect the sound system box to the satellite box for future events?

This used to be a normal setup in stake centers, but in newer stake centers you will usually find that when you have a conference in the stake center, you watch video distributed via the satellite system, but you listen to sound over the regular speaker system. In other words, the video camera feeds the satellite distribution system for the picture, but you turn the switch on the wall in the room to get the sound from the regular building system.

What I think you may want to consider is to request a sound system feed to whatever location you are going to use to originate your broadcast, independent of the satellite system.
harddrive

Post by harddrive »

lajackson wrote:This used to be a normal setup in stake centers, but in newer stake centers you will usually find that when you have a conference in the stake center, you watch video distributed via the satellite system, but you listen to sound over the regular speaker system. In other words, the video camera feeds the satellite distribution system for the picture, but you turn the switch on the wall in the room to get the sound from the regular building system.

What I think you may want to consider is to request a sound system feed to whatever location you are going to use to originate your broadcast, independent of the satellite system.

lajackson, you are on the right track. Here is what we did in our stake. The sound tech came in and run a speaker wire off the auxiliary out on the chapel amplifier. He then ran it to the satellite cabinet and then to the cultural hall amplifier. We then picked up the sound from that cable and had very clear sound. We also put that sound into a modulator so that if we had a TV in a room, it would get the sound through the speaker on the TV.

Just a word of advice to everyone. When I did a test for our webcasting, the BIGGEST thing that will be a problem is sound. In one of our meeting, one of my stake presidents turned the sound off completely, which is a BIG NO, NO. He politely got his hand slapped. He is reminded to not turn the sound off. He won't live that down.

I'm currently working on an upgrade to the systems and I know that my biggest concern is sound. If people can't hear, then they will come away with a bad experience. Doing test before hand revealed it. So if nothing else, test to get the sound the best. I know that my upgrade that at one building, I do have a sound issue.

Hope this helps.
Terry
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

harddrive wrote:In one of our meeting, one of my stake presidents turned the sound off completely, which is a BIG NO, NO. He politely got his hand slapped. He is reminded to not turn the sound off. He won't live that down.

They're in the habit of turning off the system when they leave the stand. That's fine at the end of the meeting, but disastrous when they vacate the stand for the video portion. I too have experienced having the Stake Presidency turn the sound system off on me.

My advice is to put tape over the controls as a reminder.

Aczlan

Post by Aczlan »

RussellHltn wrote:My advice is to put tape over the controls as a reminder.
I did that to our bishopric. The 1st councilor kept messing with the volume levels as I was adjusting them from the clerks office. Made for a mess until I asked him to leave them alone as I was on it, but could not do anything when he was changing the levels on me. He understood after I explained it and has been more patient with the volume controls now (I also now tape the volume controls when setting up).

Aaron Z

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”