Virus???? Pop Up Requesting Quarterly Report... Seems Odd!

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
imeubu

Virus???? Pop Up Requesting Quarterly Report... Seems Odd!

Post by imeubu »

Missing Quarterly Report Virus.doc
(208 KiB) Downloaded 168 times
Here is a screen capture of what I saw that seemed a little out of place when I logged on to MLS this morning... and I wondered if anyone else had seen it.

Our Quarterly Report was in on time and in fact we received the usual receipt and have updated it several times since. Why would this suddenly appear and so bold... not just the usual message in the typical Important Message format? Virus?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

You might want to double-check that the date on you computer is correct.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

We saw that message on our stake MLS this morning as well, even though all our wards have had their reports in for a while now. It is definitely not a virus -- there is a mechanism built into MLS to check if the quarterly report is late and pop up the message. But the checking algorithm seems to have gone awry this morning. It was the first Sunday I logged in with MLS 3.4.2, so I suspect it is related to the 3.4.2 upgrade.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
atticusewig

Post by atticusewig »

I watch all my transmissions using the Help menu option to see the
details.
This notification has been transmitted each transmission since last
update (2.4.1), but never was processed due to a glitch in MLS.
It is now finally processed, and finally removed in 2.4.2.
Unless you know for a fact that you haven't turned in your
quarterly report, it is safe to ignore.

- Atticus
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

atticusewig wrote:I watch all my transmissions using the Help menu option to see the
details.

- Atticus

I also had this problem with with 3.4.1, but I checked with our Stake Clerk, who confirmed that the Quarterly Report was received on time. I altered an item, slightly as new info had came to light, saved and transmitted. Problem indication went away!! Yippee.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

atticusewig wrote:I watch all my transmissions using the Help menu option to see the
details.
No this is not a virus. This is expected behavior that got delayed slightly due to a bug in 3.4.1.
I always watch the send/receive status (F9) as well, and have noticed a download for this for the past month or so. It downloaded each time but never got processed. From the file name, I understood it to be a pop-up warning of missing quarterly reports. However, since it wasn't getting processed, there was no pop-up. In 3.4.2 this has finally been fixed so the message has finally been processed. I would suspect it will behave more appropriately next quarter.
caj36

Post by caj36 »

Now I'm paranoid that I didn't submit my Quarterly Report properly (I'm a new Stake Clerk, this is my first Quarterly Report cycle). The data from all of my Wards appears in MLS on the Quarterly Report screen. I don't see a "save" or "submit" or similar button. Does it submit automatically?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

caj36 wrote:Now I'm paranoid that I didn't submit my Quarterly Report properly (I'm a new Stake Clerk, this is my first Quarterly Report cycle). The data from all of my Wards appears in MLS on the Quarterly Report screen. I don't see a "save" or "submit" or similar button. Does it submit automatically?
The stake has nothing to do with the submitting of Quarterly Reports -- you just get to see the data that the wards have submitted.

If you are "paranoid" because you saw the popup message, don't worry. That just means that one of your wards was probably late at some point, but as is discussed earlier in this thread, the popup appeared long after the fact because a bug in MLS was finally fixed in MLS 3.4.2. If you can see quarterly report data for all your wards, then you don't need to have any concerns. In any case, all you can do when a report is missing is talk to that ward clerk and encourage him to submit the report. In this case, it sounds like you don't need to do even that.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

I would add that if your stake is actually missing a quarterly report, you should have received an MLS message Sunday informing your which ward had not yet submitted. If you only got the pop-up and not a corresponding message, all your wards have submitted their reports properly.

Return to “Clerk Computers”