Exporting Online Calendar

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
mtolman-p40

Exporting Online Calendar

Post by mtolman-p40 »

How do I export the Stake/Ward calendar so that we can review and make changes in planning meetings.

There are three file formats listed but I am not familiar with them or their applications. I have tried to import each format into excel or word with no luck.

Is there a way to export to a common application ? We generally look at the calendar as a ward council, hammer out the needs and then give everyone a copy. This year the stake is only online (which is good), so I need to be able to drop this into a format that I can project offline, without having to buy a new program etc.

This should be a simple solution but I don't know how to get there.
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

Yu will need a calendar application like google calendar, outlook, etc. Both vCal and iCal should be readable by them.

Once you have them in the calendar program you can print out a calendar for yourself and others. Also you can print out a calendar straight from the website.
- David
margiestroble

Post by margiestroble »

mtolman wrote:How do I export the Stake/Ward calendar so that we can review and make changes in planning meetings.

There are three file formats listed but I am not familiar with them or their applications. I have tried to import each format into excel or word with no luck.
I have MS Word and what I do is have MS Word open and a new file ready to paste it into, set all 4 margins to .5 and have it be in landscape mode, then I copy and paste the calendar from the webpage into the waiting MS Word file. It works great. You can add to it, delete from it, make any changes you want, then print it. I do that every month and email it to the ward. They love it.

Of course, if you have any new activities, they need to be added to the ward webpage calendar and not just to what you've worked on in meetings. But that way, you wouldn't have to purchase any other software.

Also, I might add, that frequently it won't fit on one page. I start copying on the 2nd line where it shows the month and year. If you copy from the top of it, it will add a line or two and extra color that you will not be able to delete once in your word file. You can certainly type in the name of your ward on that first line once it's pasted into your word file. Also, most of the time, there will be extra spaces and empty lines after the last entry in the little date boxes. So, put your curser at the end of the typing on the last line, then press your END key. Once the curser goes to the end, press the BACKSPACE key until it deletes all of the empty spaces. You need to do that to all of the boxes in that week, even if they are empty. Once you do that, it will magically make that week's line be smaller and once you do the whole month, it should fit onto one page. It seems like quite a bit of work, but once you get used to doing that, it's a piece of cake ;)

I hope this helps you.
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

That does seem like a lot of work, though how does it compare to importing the iCal into a calendar program and printing it out?
- David
margiestroble

Post by margiestroble »

thedqs wrote:That does seem like a lot of work, though how does it compare to importing the iCal into a calendar program and printing it out?
I've never tried that, so I'm not sure. The reason why I started copying and pasting into the word file was so I could delete the extra spaces and make it fit onto one page as usually when you print from the webpage, it ends up on 2 pages, on our calendar anyway.

Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”