Send appt reminders to a specific person

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
kennova

Send appt reminders to a specific person

Post by kennova »

I have a Bishop's Appointments calendar and I'd like to send an email reminder (and so would the Bishop) to the person who the appt is for. I can't add that person as a viewer of that calendar since those appt's need to be confidential.

This would be nice for Tithing Settlement as well and other large interview moments like Temple Recommends.
Kenn North
Texas
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

There is no connection between a calendar event and any individual other than the editors and those who have subscribed to the calendar. The only method available to send an appointment reminder is to use the directory and send individual e-mails to those with the appointment.

It may be a long time before there is an appointment calendar that brings in directory information. Until then a workaround will have to be used.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

The calendar in its current state was not designed for this type of feature. Reminders are sent to everyone subscribed to the calendar. Everything is considered everything as an event, not an appointment.

I know it seems simple enough to create, but in execution things rarely are that simple. Due to the potential complexity and confidentiality issues, I would be surprised if this type of feature is ever added.
kennova

Post by kennova »

crislapi wrote:The calendar in its current state was not designed for this type of feature. Reminders are sent to everyone subscribed to the calendar. Everything is considered everything as an event, not an appointment.

I know it seems simple enough to create, but in execution things rarely are that simple. Due to the potential complexity and confidentiality issues, I would be surprised if this type of feature is ever added.

It's clear that it wasn't designed this way, hence the request. I'm not sure what potential confidentiality issues there are. It'd be even more controlled than it is now where I manually send an email to a member with a reminder. And this feature would have to be manually initiated. Meaning I wouldn't expect the calendar to send reminders automatically, just to have a way to expedite the process for letting people know they have an upcoming appointment.

When you click on an event right now you get the dialog with it's details and an Edit link and Delete button. A third button could be "Send Reminder" and it would parse the text for any known names (entity extraction can do this) and then ask if it got the right person (people) and then you click Send.. You could even have check box for "Send reminder to everyone subscribed to this calendar"

Currently for tithing settlement I don't even use the Calendar for all the appointments since it provides no additional value to do so, given that TS is an annual event for every Ward in the world that seems unfortunate.
Kenn North
Texas

Return to “Calendar”