JIRA for voting on issues and feature requests

So you have the BIG idea that the Church or community needs to develop. Discuss that idea here. Maybe you just want to make a suggestion on a new forum topic. Let us know.
kennova

JIRA for voting on issues and feature requests

Post by kennova »

I see JIRA in the header. What's the vision for that section?

Can we use that more widely for issues, and feature requests? It has the ability to let external users vote and watch issues and new features. This would help the development team prioritize, but also to get clarity on what's being worked on.
Kenn North
Texas
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

kennova wrote:I see JIRA in the header. What's the vision for that section?

The Jira link in the LDSTech header is for LDSTech (community) projects to keep track of the bugs and feature requests for their individual projects. Different projects allow different visibility -- some jira projects are open to the public; some are not; and of those that are open to the public, some kinds of reports are visible and some are not.
kennova wrote:Can we use that more widely for issues, and feature requests? It has the ability to let external users vote and watch issues and new features. This would help the development team prioritize, but also to get clarity on what's being worked on.
That decision is up to individual project managers. Opening Jira to the public is a two-edged sword.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
kennova

Post by kennova »

Well it's a great system for external users to rally all the voices around certain issues. Get Satisfaction, UserVoice and others are also decent systems. I asked about it since we had a conversation about idea posts in the various forums. I've seen responses from you and others that feature requests get forwarded to the proper folks, but from there it's often unclear what the status is or if it's even a feature the development team is considering. With JIRA and other platforms the development can even reject an idea which is better than not hearing about the status at all and gives the team a chance to explain the rationale of why a feature isn't being developed.

I'll admit that JIRA is a much more complex tool than Get Satisfaction, and UserVoice and so many of the issues that would appear (like the ones I can see in there now) don't make much sense to the casual user of lds.org, or MLS. But I saw it in the header so I figured I'd ask. But in the end I'm just looking for a way to get ideas and feature requests and even high level bugs out there for other casual users to vote on. Other sites call them Idea Exchanges, or something similar.
Kenn North
Texas

Return to “Ideas & Suggestions”