Offsite backup

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
aclawson

Offsite backup

Post by aclawson »

For those interested, logmein.com now has a peer to peer backup service that may be of interest to some.

A backup client is installed on each node in a group. One or more systems is designated a storage server. Each node is then configured with a backup profile - which files and when - with the option to encrypt all of the data with a personal key. Files are then backed up automatically.

This may be attractive to some as:

1. Data is note stored on a 3rd party server, only on a machine that is under your explicit control at all times.

2. The data can be independently encrypted for security and privacy.

It may be interesting to check out.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

This is called "LogMeIn Backup" and (AFAIK) it's been around for about 5 years. They only sell it on an annual subscription basis and the pricing for 10 PC's in a typical stake would be $279.50 each year.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jkentner

Post by jkentner »

Mikerowaved wrote:This is called "LogMeIn Backup" and (AFAIK) it's been around for about 5 years. They only sell it on an annual subscription basis and the pricing for 10 PC's in a typical stake would be $279.50 each year.

Crashplan is free, and it allows for computer to computer backups. I use it to back up my home server offsite. It doesn't cost anything, it encrypts the data, and works well.
mfmohlma

Post by mfmohlma »

jkentner wrote:Crashplan is free, and it allows for computer to computer backups.

The free version of Crashplan is for personal data only and would not be appropriate for Church use. Remember as well that any software installed on the PC must be approved by the Stake President.
jkentner

Post by jkentner »

mfmohlma wrote:The free version of Crashplan is for personal data only and would not be appropriate for Church use. Remember as well that any software installed on the PC must be approved by the Stake President.

As far as Crashplan, that is not correct. It is free to use for Church use. I contacted Crashplan and asked them specifically about Church use to back up systems, and if that is legal according to their EULA. Here is their response:

Tom N., Dec-07 06:26 pm (CST):
Hi Jason,
Thanks for contacting CrashPlan support. I apologize for the delayed response.
There is no restriction against the use of CrashPlan in this manner in the EULA. For your reference, the EULA is located here: http://support.crashplan.com/doku.php/eula Get those backups going! :)
Thanks,
Tom

Return to “Clerk Computers”