How I think the ward websites/Mls can improve.

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
tdacomp-p40

How I think the ward websites/Mls can improve.

Post by tdacomp-p40 »

I am a ward membership clerk and a network engineer by trade, I have a few suggestions on how i think the ward websites/mls systems can be improved. Our ward is a very transient student ward. The bishop wants an updated photo directory at all times to hand out to new ward members as they move in (i get 1-3 family's in and out every week) I love how the website allows us to upload photos to it and print it out from there BUT because most people in or ward have 2 cell phones and no lan line the bishop has us do a PDF directory to include the extra numbers in it. So as you can imagine this is a lot of extra work. Farther more the web site allows for 2 email address to be listed but mls only has one spot for an email address. I find the elders quorum or the relief society making and maintaining there own email lists. Both these problems seem like easy fixes to me.
1. Have all the phone numbers from MLS migrate to the online ward directory.
2. Have 2 spots for email address in MLS and have those sync to those on the online directory

other things I would like to see are:
multiple print views for the online photo directory
a privacy button on MLS/ ward website so if desired individuals can request certain things be keep private for leadership use only. aka email address cell phone # etc.
mattandmarie-p40

Home Teaching and Visitig Teaching Assignments

Post by mattandmarie-p40 »

I have only a couple suggestions (currently being an EQP)...

Please post the home teaching, visiting teaching on the website and allow stats to be entered from the web!!!

My church is over 30 min drive away and is a pain to go down to get on the computer and enter the stats or to print out a list. The computer on Sunday is jammed with others and rarely do I have all the stats gathered on Sunday for entry.

Matt
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

mattandmarie wrote:I have only a couple suggestions (currently being an EQP)...

Please post the home teaching, visiting teaching on the website and allow stats to be entered from the web!!!

My church is over 30 min drive away and is a pain to go down to get on the computer and enter the stats or to print out a list. The computer on Sunday is jammed with others and rarely do I have all the stats gathered on Sunday for entry.

Matt
Take a look at [thread=502]this thread[/thread]. It has been quite a discussion about this subject. The Church is currently looking into a few possibilities for that project. Right now, it is looking like the Church is trying to find a way to open-source the project out to us here in the community. Also, the Church may try and implement a similar solution themselves, if the first option proves to have too much red tape to slowly cut through.
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

tdacomp wrote:I am a ward membership clerk and a network engineer by trade, I have a few suggestions on how i think the ward websites/mls systems can be improved. Our ward is a very transient student ward. The bishop wants an updated photo directory at all times to hand out to new ward members as they move in (i get 1-3 family's in and out every week) I love how the website allows us to upload photos to it and print it out from there BUT because most people in or ward have 2 cell phones and no lan line the bishop has us do a PDF directory to include the extra numbers in it. So as you can imagine this is a lot of extra work. Farther more the web site allows for 2 email address to be listed but mls only has one spot for an email address. I find the elders quorum or the relief society making and maintaining there own email lists. Both these problems seem like easy fixes to me.
1. Have all the phone numbers from MLS migrate to the online ward directory.
2. Have 2 spots for email address in MLS and have those sync to those on the online directory

other things I would like to see are:
multiple print views for the online photo directory
a privacy button on MLS/ ward website so if desired individuals can request certain things be keep private for leadership use only. aka email address cell phone # etc.

Both of these suggestions have been addressed peviously and are currently in the planning stage from what I understand.
- David
childsdj

Post by childsdj »

They are in the planning stages. It is not only a technical issue but there are some policy implications such as, if I start listing cell phone numbers for everyone, this may be a privacy issue. The same privacy issues surround photos migrating from ward to ward.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

DJC wrote:privacy issues
Anything that it would be worth polling the group for ideas?

My gut reaction is what's needed is a system that is flexible to the desires of how the member wants to handle things with appropriate oversight by an admin. And policy to prevent "surprises".
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

RussellHltn wrote:Anything that it would be worth polling the group for ideas?

My gut reaction is what's needed is a system that is flexible to the desires of how the member wants to handle things with appropriate oversight by an admin. And policy to prevent "surprises".
I'll mention the Poll idea to the product managers. However just because a feature is highly voted upon does not guarantee it will be introduced. But it will give us a good idea of what features we feel appropriate should be worked on first. Does anyone want to take a crack at creating a poll (just create a document with the questions)? What kinds of questions do we need?

Tom
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Guess I should have used "ping" rather then "poll". Clearly there are some privacy questions that have kept this from going further. But the issues haven't been disclosed. What I was asking is if it would be possible to present the problem to the group to brainstorm some ideas on how to get the functionality we want without the privacy issues.

The idea of both a family and individual photos might be a workable one. We need individual photos for leadership rosters anyway.
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

tomw wrote:I'll mention the Poll idea to the product managers. However just because a feature is highly voted upon does not guarantee it will be introduced. But it will give us a good idea of what features we feel appropriate should be worked on first. Does anyone want to take a crack at creating a poll (just create a document with the questions)? What kinds of questions do we need?

Tom

Questions that could be addressed is the privacy issue, but we need to know what the issue is so we can brainstorm how to make this compliant. Second how photos should be handled with family changes. Third how this can be displayed and incorporated into the site.

Just an initial brainstorm to help give direction.
- David
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

thedqs wrote:Questions that could be addressed is the privacy issue, but we need to know what the issue is so we can brainstorm how to make this compliant. Second how photos should be handled with family changes. Third how this can be displayed and incorporated into the site.

Just an initial brainstorm to help give direction.
Well let's talk privacy for a moment. Let's assume that you allow individual phone #'s or pictures. Some well meaning ward clerk could work with the Sunday school organization to take pictures of all individuals and to get their email addresses and phone numbers. Then this information is posted online without the individual or the individual's parent realizing where it is ending up. They may not want their information posted.

Some countries have laws about what can or cannot be posted. Some countries have laws that state individuals have to consent that their information is being posted.

These issues sound easy to resolve (for example, have everyone sign a waver) but what happens if that does not happen or how do we enforce that it does happen? Should we enforce it even in regions where it is not required? How do we guarantee that we are in compliance worldwide?

Tom

Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”