Attachments to Calendar Events

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
mmkids6

Attachments to Calendar Events

Post by mmkids6 »

Is there anything coming in the future to allow an editor to attach a flyer to a calendared event. I know that you can do something similar with google docs by pasting the URL in the description box, but I have not been able to have any success doing that. If someone is familiar with the process for google docs, and can outline some steps for me, that would help in the short term. Long term it would be nice to attach flyers so that you don't have to re-type the information in the description box of the event.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

This discussion is similar to the thread Calendar - Event Description - Hyperlink. There are others but that is the most recent.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

mmkids6 wrote: I know that you can do something similar with google docs by pasting the URL in the description box, but I have not been able to have any success doing that.
The future? We have hints it may be in the works, but for now, we "work-around." If you read the thread mentioned, and if that doesn't help, post a question. We don't know your computer familiarity, so we don't know at what point it is not working for you. It is often a matter of becoming familiar with computers and the terms used. If you know the stuff below, don't be offended...just assume some others looking may not.

The Process
Of course, while the two terms are similar, "attaching a document" and "adding a "hyperlink" are different computer processes, but neither one is available to us (yet) in the LDS.org calendar.

The google docs process is simply doing this:
  • You have created a document in google docs, or uploaded a document to google docs- perhaps a flyer, a ward picnic map, detailed canning assignment instructions, a cub scouts budget spreadsheet, etc.
  • That document has a unique web address (URL address) where that page resides on google docs
  • For others to see that page, you must provide them with that unique URL address, (and set the "sharing"correctly, which means you have allowed others to access it on Google docs and not just keep it private, just for yourself)
  • They must somehow get that URL address into their browser, whether their browser is on a computer, tablet or web phone, to see your google docs page

You could call them on the phone and give them the URL address, or mail it to them, or give it to them in the announcement bulletin at church. In each case, they would need to type it in exactly, and then their browser will navigate to that document, and they will see your google docs flyer.

All we are talking about is giving them the URL address in a calendar event description, and just like the above examples, they still must type, or "copy" and then "paste" this URL address into their computer's web browser to see your google docs flyer. This is easy for a simple URL address like LDS.org, but for a google docs URL, its a string of numbers and letters, much harder to type in correctly. The URL shortening service's mentioned just make the URL shorter, and thus, maybe easier to deal with.

What we wish for is "hyperlink" ability, which would basically automate this process, allowing our URL address to be imbedded into an event description to google docs (or a News and Information part of new LDS.org) and become active, become "clickable," so as you move your mouse over it, you can just click it and the google docs page is displayed automatically. No typing, or cutting and pasting the URL address.

As mentioned in an update to that post, however, if you do place that URL address link in your description, and then set the event to email a reminder, some mail programs will recognize properly displayed URL addresses within emails, and convert them to active, "clickable," hyperlinks to google docs....
jplatt243

Would like to attach a file, not just a link

Post by jplatt243 »

I would really like to be able to attach a document to a calendar item, not just link to them elsewhere. The links are useful when they point to resources already on the lds.org like manuals, talks, etc., or to public information. But linking to non-public items elsewhere requires that everyone maintain access to both the calendar and the location of the documents, which won't always happen, especially with larger groups. I think some of our less tech-oriented members find that hard and just don't bother.

I would love to be able to post agendas, programs and flyers before meetings, (packing lists for scout camp, girls' camp, etc.) for example, or notes/follow-up material after meetings. Another useful document attachment would be permission forms for youth activities - I finally ended up just keeping extras at home. Posting pre-filled permission forms with the activity specifics would be a big plus (someday web-based fill in forms would be awesome for this!) :)
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

Moderator note:
Post #4 was moved from the thread Calendar - Event Description - Hyperlink since this post, while related, and any responses fork that thread.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?

Return to “Calendar”