Calendar 2.0 is not working in Argentina

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
RomeroGa

Calendar 2.0 is not working in Argentina

Post by RomeroGa »

When I tried to use the new Calendar, a pop-up message appears that says:

"Sorry, data is temporarily not available for this application. Please try again later."

I found that the problem was that the Stake administrator must turn-off the old calendar to allow to use the new one, and that this permission will grant to all units in the Stake can use it.
Our Stake Clerk couldn't enter (with the same error). I advised him to call to GSC. They said that this Calendar is not working for Argentina.
I can't believe it!
If is the case, please give us the old version, so we can enter all 2012 events-

Could you give us more information about it?

I allways think that the new approach of the Church is to create worlwide tools, so no matter where do you live, you can use it in your language.

Thanks for your help and assistance,

Gustavo A. Romero
Buenos Aires
Argentina
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

romeroga wrote:When I tried to use the new Calendar, a pop-up message appears that says:

"Sorry, data is temporarily not available for this application. Please try again later."
That happens from time to time as they work on the system. They just installed a update, so that might be why it was down.
romeroga wrote:I found that the problem was that the Stake administrator must turn-off the old calendar to allow to use the new one, and that this permission will grant to all units in the Stake can use it.
Maybe it works differently in your country, but it sound like false information to me. Many of us are using both the old and new calendars.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
RomeroGa

Post by RomeroGa »

That's I'm asking for, if we can't use the new calendar, at least allow us to use the old calendar.

Also, as an IT guy, it sounds very strange to me that a web application works well in some countries and bad in another.

I have spoken with other Stakes and they have the same problems.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

You probably need to speak to the area office. They may have requested something for some reason.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
RomeroGa

Post by RomeroGa »

I'm working in the Area Office (South America South Area). Here nobody knows what's going on with this problem.

Just for clarification. We never use stake or ward websites, because we weren't approved to do that.

When I referring to used old calendars, is just the prior version of the 2.0 upgrade, with lds.org .

Thanks,
mfmohlma

Post by mfmohlma »

romeroga wrote:They said that this Calendar is not working for Argentina.
The GSC was correct, but not for the reason you think. A major issue with 2.0 was time zones. After a little internet work, I found that it appears that Argentina has its very own time zone due to not observing Daylight Saving time. In the beta, there were numerous issues with time zones and a number of us got the exact same error message as you. You can see the resolution here.

To test this theory, I changed the time zone on my computer to Buenos Aires and my calendar gives me the same error. The firebug output is attached reflecting the hang on the timezone call to Argentina time zone. You can change the timezone on your computer to something else and see if the calendar will come up for you. Hopefully the developers can fix it soon.
ArgentinaTZ.jpg
ArgentinaTZ.jpg (22.19 KiB) Viewed 1194 times
mfmohlma

Post by mfmohlma »

Here is another screenshot showing the 404 Not Found for Argentina Time Zone.
ArgentinaTZ2.jpg
(78.19 KiB) Downloaded 29 times
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Of course, one needs to select a time zone that most accurately mimics Argentina tine, otherwise things will not be at their proper time. I'm not sure as the cure is much better then the disease.

mfmohlma

Post by mfmohlma »

RussellHltn wrote:Of course, one needs to select a time zone that most accurately mimics Argentina tine, otherwise things will not be at their proper time. I'm not sure as the cure is much better then the disease.

I guess I wasn't clear that my suggestion was just for debug, though I do see 5 timezones in Windows at UTC-3. I haven't tried any of the rest of them to see if it's just Argentina.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

RussellHltn wrote:Of course, one needs to select a time zone that most accurately mimics Argentina tine, otherwise things will not be at their proper time. I'm not sure as the cure is much better then the disease.
Of course, you would need to pick a reasonable time zone. But if you do, then the cure is definitely better than the disease. The disease is that the calendar doesn't work at all right now. With the cure of using America/Santiago time zone (which matches Argentina time during DST), the time will be correct for Argentina until 11 March 2012, when Chile will move from DST to Standard Time, but Argentina will not move.

By then, I certainly hope that the Argentina time zone will be properly supported. In the remote possibility that it is not, units in Argentina could move all their locations to America/Montevideo time, which matches Argentina time during Standard Time.

But we're talking about a few stake administrator making the effort to make manual changes to the time zone for locations, versus no members in Argentina being able to use the Calendar system at all. A software fix may be imminent, in which case the workaround is unnecessary, but until the fix occurs, if someone wants to use the Calendar system, the workaround seems like an easy choice.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

Return to “Calendar”