Wiping out calendars 2012

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
dnickolson

Wiping out calendars 2012

Post by dnickolson »

I didn't have any idea that the upgrades this late in the year would wipe out dates we had scheduled on the 2012 online calendar. It makes me leery of using the calendar with all the work that goes into putting the information on it. I thought the information we had received said "we invite stakes to start using the new calendar" so I was actually concerned it meant anything on the Classic view might come down so I put all the information on the new calendar. Now we have twice lost all the information we put on during 2011 and for 2012. The "import" feature does not work well as it takes so long for each individual event to transfer. When can we be assured the information we put on our calendars for members to view and to start scheduling ward events will not be deleted?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

The only thing that was deliberately not brought forward from V1 of the new calendar to the current was holidays and birthdays. Beyond that, you shouldn't have lost anything. (But there were bugs).

Are you sure it's gone or just in a calendar you can't see?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

dnickolson wrote:I didn't have any idea that the upgrades this late in the year would wipe out dates we had scheduled on the 2012 online calendar. It makes me leery of using the calendar with all the work that goes into putting the information on it. I thought the information we had received said "we invite stakes to start using the new calendar" so I was actually concerned it meant anything on the Classic view might come down so I put all the information on the new calendar.
The message that the classic calendar was going to be retired at the end of 2011 has been given in several different places throughout the year, and that message has not changed. See, for example, the About the Calendar section in the Calendar help system. I believe that the messages of which you quoted part ("we invite stakes to start using the new calendar") did mention the retiring of the classic calendar at the end of this year. But if you missed that message, I can understand why you would be frustrated.

In any case, it sounds like you are working on moving to the new calendar, which is a step in the right direction.
dnickolson wrote:Now we have twice lost all the information we put on during 2011 and for 2012. The "import" feature does not work well as it takes so long for each individual event to transfer. When can we be assured the information we put on our calendars for members to view and to start scheduling ward events will not be deleted?
So are you saying that you lost all your 2012 events on the new Calendar? There were a few rough spots during the data migration about a month ago as we moved to Calendar 2.0, but I can't imagine that how you lost all your events. Did you follow the instructions to enable your locations to do scheduling after the last data migration?

[Moderator note: I moved this thread to the Calendar forum, since that seems more appropriate than the General Discsussions forum where it was originally posted.]
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

Return to “Calendar”