Event times

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
gemillward

Event times

Post by gemillward »

I have noticed that starting times for a.m. meetings never show "a" or "am" while p.m. meetings show "p". Could be confusing to members.

Also why is it necessary to to always have an end time for an event? Would like to see an "open end" option on times.

When posting an event without a starting time, calendar automatically defaults to 8 (am), then requites me to edit the event to "all day". Any way around that?

Thanks.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

gemillward wrote:I have noticed that starting times for a.m. meetings never show "a" or "am" while p.m. meetings show "p". Could be confusing to members.

I agree. It saves one character on morning events, but those are far less common than pm times. So the savings are minimal, and adding an "a" would help reduce confusion.
gemillward wrote:Also why is it necessary to to always have an end time for an event? Would like to see an "open end" option on times.

For any event that books any kind of room or equipment, you absolutely have to have an end time so that you'll know when the room will be freed up. And even if no room or equipment is involved, you still really need an end time in order to have a reasonable display in the week view (which shows events graphically as a block of time). Although your request may seem simple, it really doesn't fit in the current design. So just keep entering end times -- that will help people have some idea when an event, which is helpful information.
gemillward wrote:When posting an event without a starting time, calendar automatically defaults to 8 (am), then requites me to edit the event to "all day". Any way around that?

It doesn't default to 8am. When you post an event in Month view, it defaults to the next full hour after the current time. You posted at 7:25am, so it would default to 8:00am if you were working on the calendar at the same time. The way around it is to use week view -- then you can click and drag a time range to select exactly the time you want as you create a new event.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

gemillward wrote:Also why is it necessary to to always have an end time for an event? Would like to see an "open end" option on times.
Probably because the calendar was designed to also reserve resources. Others need to know when the resource will be freed up.

gemillward wrote:When posting an event without a starting time, calendar automatically defaults to 8 (am), then requites me to edit the event to "all day". Any way around that?

It defaults to the "next hour". We've complained out that. It gets fun if you're adding things after 10PM since the default ending time is now "tomorrow".

Out of all the quirks of the calendar, the requirement to click "all day" seem rather minor. Since most of the events we enter DO have a start time, I'd say it's preferable.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Calendar”