Customized Rooms Are REALLY Needed in my Three-Ward Building

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
scote

Customized Rooms Are REALLY Needed in my Three-Ward Building

Post by scote »

tortdog wrote:Yes. Under "Choose the resources which can be scheduled independently" each of the following are checked:

Baptismal Font
Chapel
Cultural Hall
Kitchen
Chapel Overflow
Primary Room
Relief Society Room
Stage
Young Women's Room
Nursery Room

I am a building scheduler for a building with three wards. Ward 1: 9a-noon. Ward 2: 11a-2p. Ward 3: 1p-4p. I have identified 35 customized rooms that should be used to help sort out the challenge of Sunday schedules. However, the stake clerk has checked with headquarters and it is not possible to create custom rooms.

Please create the functionality to create custom rooms.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Admin note: this is a different issue, so this post has been moved to a new thread.

I'm not sure why CHQ told him what they did, but you sure can create additional rooms with custom names. I'm not sure if you can create that many, but it's worth trying.

Settings > Locations & Rooms
Select the location on the left hand side.
Click "Edit" in the middle column
On the right column, by "Additional Rooms & equipment", click "Add"
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

In ver. 1.0 I was able to create approximately 30 custom rooms. We have since changed locations and I don't need any custom rooms now, but the ability to create custom locations is still there as noted by RussellHltn.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Just a quick comment on 35 locations: I would make sure it it's possible to use each location independently of the others. For example, in our stake center, we have a custom room called "Multi-purpose/Baptismal Font" because it's impossible to use one without interfering with the use of the other. So we treat the two as a single room as far as scheduling.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Another comment on 35 rooms: Although it's theoretically possible that every room could be scheduled, does that really happen? We have chosen not to create all the classrooms as custom rooms -- we just have rooms (some custom, some standard) for the large rooms. If there is need, we can always add an additional custom room. But no one has complained about not being able to schedule that little classrom 25.

On the other hand, having 35 custom rooms in addition to several standard rooms makes for a mighty long list for people to scroll through when they are scheduling events. We try to keep the list to a manageable size, and that has worked well for us.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

aebrown wrote:Another comment on 35 rooms: Although it's theoretically possible that every room could be scheduled, does that really happen?

Also, you only need to include a room only if you expect to put events using that room on a calendar. I personally wouldn't put EVERY Sunday meeting for every class on the calendar. How many rooms are never used for scheduled events except the Teacher's Quorum meeting on Sundays? Or are only used as "rooms of opportunity" and it's not a problem if someone else is using it?

Also, it's less disruptive to add rooms then to take away an excess. So I'd suggest starting as "minimal" and add as needed.

Return to “Calendar”