Classic Calendar To Be Shutdown At The End of 2011

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
techgy
Community Moderators

Classic Calendar To Be Shutdown At The End of 2011

Post by techgy »

I tried to post a brief note on January 1st of the classic 2012 calendar and was given a warning that the classic calendar will be shut down at the end of 2011.

I guess it's time to make the switch :)
Have you read the Code of Conduct?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

techgy wrote:I tried to post a brief note on January 1st of the classic 2012 calendar and was given a warning that the classic calendar will be shut down at the end of 2011.

Yes, that was also noted in the thread Are we REALLY ready to turn off classic calendars on 30 Dec 2011?
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

aebrown wrote:Yes, that was also noted in the thread Are we REALLY ready to turn off classic calendars on 30 Dec 2011?
I wonder when the entire "classic" site will disappear? Has anyone heard a schedule for closing the whole thing?
Have you read the Code of Conduct?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

techgy wrote:I wonder when the entire "classic" site will disappear? Has anyone heard a schedule for closing the whole thing?

I don't think anyone (even the product manager) knows the answer to that question at this point. But the Requests, Roadmap, and Missing Features Questions on the wiki gives some clues:
  • The new modules for Lesson Schedules and for News & Information are in development and will be in beta Q1 2012. In my experience with software development, that kind of wording typically means that it will be in beta sometime in Q2, but even if they do manage to hit beta in Q1, there will be a beta period (for the Calendar, it was almost three months long) before release.
  • Besides Lessons and News, there are other modules that need to be developed to replace existing functionality on the classic ward/stake sites. There will need to be some sort of home page at the very least. I don't know if they will be delivered in parallel with Lessons and News, but the fact that they have not been mentioned yet makes me think that they are even farther out.
So it's safe to say that the classic sites will be around at least into Q2 of next year, and I would guess that they will last into Q3; I wouldn't be surprised if they don't get completely shut down until Q4. We've seen with the Calendar that individual modules can be retired along the way, so I'm only talking about the overall site, not any individual modules.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
sjhovey

Classic Ward and Stakes Website link dropped from Tools menu

Post by sjhovey »

My Bishop and I noticed this morning that the link to the Classic Ward and Stakes Website has been removed from the Tools menu on LDS.org. We're getting panicked calls from members. We rely heavily on the ability to post informational documents for ward members (Ward Mission Plan, Ward Emergency Plan, Scout Committee plans, etc.) as well as the ability to do broadcast email blasts to the entire ward. The ability to post lesson plans (mentioned above) sounds as if it is being worked on. However, "weaning away" the members from being able to readily access the Classic Ward and Stake Websites seems VERY premature.:eek:
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

sjhovey wrote:My Bishop and I noticed this morning that the link to the Classic Ward and Stakes Website has been removed from the Tools menu on LDS.org. We're getting panicked calls from members. We rely heavily on the ability to post informational documents for ward members (Ward Mission Plan, Ward Emergency Plan, Scout Committee plans, etc.) as well as the ability to do broadcast email blasts to the entire ward. The ability to post lesson plans (mentioned above) sounds as if it is being worked on. However, "weaning away" the members from being able to readily access the Classic Ward and Stake Websites seems VERY premature.:eek:
As you can read in the thread LUWS Missing?, the link to Classic Ward and Stake Websites hasn't been removed, but it has been moved. It is indeed harder to get to now. I agree that this is unfortunate.

Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”