Mismatched Standard Position Names, MLS vs Online

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
ckmcdonald

Mismatched Standard Position Names, MLS vs Online

Post by ckmcdonald »

I'm trying to clean up the position names, particularly the Primary organization, in MLS so they match the Online position list and use where possible standard names. MLS of course recommends that we use standard position names before creating custom ones. Most of ours are currently custom for some reason but don't need to be. That's what I'm trying to fix. But ....

When I view the online position names for the Primary there are a bunch beginning with "Primary Worker - ...". In MLS the corresponding positions are called "Primary Teacher - ...". There are other differences too. When I view/print the online position list for the Primary I get an annoying list of "Calling Vacant" for all the unused "standard" position names. I'm trying to make these go away by using them.... but the standard names in MLS are different.

Am I seeing things, or missing something? Why aren't the standard postions names the same in MSL and the online list?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

ckmcdonald wrote:Am I seeing things, or missing something? Why aren't the standard postions names the same in MSL and the online list?
The calling "Primary Worker" was changed to "Primary Teacher" only recently (in the last week or so) in MLS and in CDOL. I had understood that it was to be changed in Leader Resources at about the same time, but apparently that change is lagging a bit. I'm sure it will be done soon.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I'd suggest using standard callings. The on-line services may call it differently, but if you stick with standard callings things should take care of themselves.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
ckmcdonald

Post by ckmcdonald »

The recent change is what threw me. I was working off a hard-copy printout of the online position list that was about 1-2 weeks old and attempting to make MLS match it.

I take it that if there are discrepancies that the "standard" name is the one in MLS.

Thanks.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

ckmcdonald wrote:The recent change is what threw me. I was working off a hard-copy printout of the online position list that was about 1-2 weeks old and attempting to make MLS match it.

For some reason, the parts of Clerk Resources that generate the Callings reports were down most of the evening, so I couldn't check if the change to the title of the "Primary Teacher" calling was changed there until now. But now I can confirm that it is indeed changed in all three places (MLS, CDOL, and Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org).
ckmcdonald wrote:I take it that if there are discrepancies that the "standard" name is the one in MLS.

I don't know that it's safe to assume that MLS will be updated before the websites -- it is probably easier to update the websites than to update MLS when such a change needs to be made. So I could easily imagine that one of the websites might be updated before MLS. But that's no big deal -- just use the correct standard calling in MLS, and the exact titles that are displayed in those three places will be synchronized soon enough.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

aebrown wrote:
ckmcdonald wrote:I take it that if there are discrepancies that the "standard" name is the one in MLS.

I don't know that it's safe to assume that MLS will be updated before the websites -- it is probably easier to update the websites than to update MLS when such a change needs to be made. So I could easily imagine that one of the websites might be updated before MLS. But that's no big deal -- just use the correct standard calling in MLS, and the exact titles that are displayed in those three places will be synchronized soon enough.

Actually CDOL is the official source for the standard names and MLS now gets them from CDOL.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

JonesRK wrote:Actually CDOL is the official source for the standard names and MLS now gets them from CDOL.
Sounds like another reason why a test install of MLS is becoming less and less useful.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

As far as the subject of this thread goes, I'd say go with the "best" standard position and let the details of the titles work themselves out.

I believe that the standardized callings are linked to a ID rather then exact title, so if the title changes, the system will accommodate that change. We should never use a custom position just to get the naming "right".
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”