New Telephone format change?

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
jsmackley

New Telephone format change?

Post by jsmackley »

I am an asst Stake clerk for membership. One of the asst ward clerk for membership contacted me and told me that he's been in contact with CHQ regarding a problem with new records he's received. The phone number dropped the last 2 digits. e.g. xxx-xxx-xx is all that he received. He contacted the sending clerk and was told that he sent the entire number. He then contacted CHQ and was told that they changed the format to take only the first 10 characters. Evidently SLC only wants 10 numbers with nothing else. Can anyone confirm that this has changed?
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

I can say that the 7 records received in the last 5 days by one of my units all have complete phone numbers despite having hyphens in them.

Taking only the first 10 characters is obviously a problematic approach. Better would be to take the first or last 10 numbers, obviously.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

In the UK, at least at the moment, normal land line and mobile numbers are 11 characters. Quite often there is a space after the area code. We don't see a problem when receiving numbers, in MLS, even with longer numbers including spaces.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Different area offices can set different formats for things like phone numbers and addresses.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

RussellHltn wrote:Different area offices can set different formats for things like phone numbers and addresses.
True, but the OP was referring to the state of Washington in the United States, and all of the US is administered the same way in this regard.

So far we have one second-hand report of a phone number being truncated to 10 characters, and at least one report of receiving records with no such problem. And I can also confirm that we have recently received records with phone number consisting of more than 10 characters, with no truncation.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
jsmackley

Post by jsmackley »

Thank you all who responded. I didn't think the church would have made a change like this without doing a better job of communication. I could understand a forcing a standard format like xxx-xxx-xxxx, but didn't think they would just truncate it. I will work with the membership clerk. Thanks.

Return to “Membership Help”