Church YouTube channel

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
McDanielCA

Church YouTube channel

Post by McDanielCA »

YouTube is one of the most popular video sites on the internet. It boasted 20 million visitors per month in 2006, with over 10 million videos viewed every day!

The Church now has a YouTube channel. There are seven videos of Elder Ballard answering questions that are commonly asked concerning Mormonism and six clips from the Truth Restored ads that appear on mormon.org.

What do you think about this?
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

telfordca wrote:What do you think about this?
I think that's terrific! I hope it will broaden our media outreach.
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

telfordca wrote:...

What do you think about this?
What do we/I think about this?

I hope nobody in this forum is expecting any response that is anything less than wildly enthusiastic. I hope Church members take full advantage of the member-missionary opportunities we should have as a result of the recent media activities.
McDanielCA

Post by McDanielCA »

My only concern would be that people may not be finding the "official" videos and end up seeing something else entirely.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

telfordca wrote:My only concern would be that people may not be finding the "official" videos and end up seeing something else entirely.
That's always a possibility. I'd assume anyone wanting to see official church videos would go to a church site, not YouTube. I'd think that the purpose of placing church videos on YouTube would be to expose them to people who wouldn't otherwise watch them. However, the downside is that I'm sure parody videos will pop up.
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

After having watched one of the video pieces starring Elder Ballard, one thing that I wondered about was the choice of a dark, basically black, background. I wondered whether the very dark background might give a less-than-favorable impression to some curious viewers.
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

rmrichesjr wrote:After having watched one of the video pieces starring Elder Ballard, one thing that I wondered about was the choice of a dark, basically black, background. I wondered whether the very dark background might give a less-than-favorable impression to some curious viewers.

I think that is just the lighting. They use the same thing in general conference too where more light is focused on the speaker and the camera will just remove the background.

I do remember some other videos where a couple of the 12 and some other GAs where sitting around a table explaining the doctrines, but I think that was a missionary training video. Though it might be what you are thinking of as a good background and friendly atmosphere.
- David
cottrells

Post by cottrells »

One drawback is after you watch a clip on YouTube you are offered similar clips to watch. Sometimes these aren't appropriate.
skiptaylor

Post by skiptaylor »

cottrells wrote:One drawback is after you watch a clip on YouTube you are offered similar clips to watch. Sometimes these aren't appropriate.
I noticed some pretty inappropriate similar cliips as well..

YouTube doesn't seem an appropriate venue for this in my mind. Although video social networking is for the masses I've learned it's just not for me.
Skip Taylor :eek:
Lancaster CA.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I guess it comes back to the goal of placing the clips on YouTube. If it's to be an official distribution point (particularly for members), the "related" clips creates an issue. If it's just to get the stuff "out there" where non-members will see it, then it's an acceptable "risk". If nothing else, it will help counter the negative that will be out there anyway.

One thing I'm curious about is some of the videos seem to point to newsroom rather then mormons.org. Depending on who you thing will view the video, I'd think Mormons.org might be more appropriate. Or even the broadcast sections of the lds.org since they like videos.

Return to “General Discussions”