Exceptions capacity to reservations

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
bgtaylor4

Exceptions capacity to reservations

Post by bgtaylor4 »

I'm reserving the entire building closed for carpet cleaning over a two day period. In essence this is midnight to midnight... except I don't care about prior to 6 am the first day... easy so I set the start at 6am... but it is okay for seminary to be in the building both mornings (carpet cleaning works around them) and for RS exercise class to be in the cultural hall till 7:30 the first morning... setting the start at 7:30 on day one works this out, but leaves the possibility that someone might schedule that morning (not a big deal in this example)... but to leave seminary in for the second day meant creating 4 separate reservations overall -- the whole building the first day after 7:30a, the whole building except the RS room midnight to 11:30p, and the RS room midnight to 5:30a and 7:00a to 11:30p. And what if I wish to make other exceptions? The four reservations exponentially increase and the calendar becomes the obstacle rather than the tool.

What I should be able to do, my suggestion and request, is to reserve the whole building over a two day period, and then have the capacity to make exceptions in both time and rooms. Many times each year someone will (justifiably) reserve the entire building; but, when approached, allow some small meeting where a room or two actually can be spared, or a quiet event not disturbing a recital or similar event where the whole building was reserved for reverence only.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Since reservations only works by unit, there's always a possibility that someone else will jump in there. Particularly if say, RS decides they don't want to hold their exercise class (maybe the fumes bothered them on that first day), so they delete their event but fail to tell you.

It would be nice if they could bring back something like allowing the Building Scheduler to place events on a calendar. That way he's granting an exception for an event, not a unit.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

One question is the order in which these events are scheduled. It sounds like you have very specific exceptions in mind. Given that level of specificity, it sounds like those events are already on some calendar. If that is true, then just go ahead and make a single reservation for the entire time the building will be unavailable. The system will not report a conflict when you as a building scheduler add a reservation, even if it overlaps existing events.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

And in the odd exceptions, you can still work this out with a communication by all parties involved....
IE Block the building, but tell seminary they are ok to meet as planned and the carpet cleaners will work around them....
bgtaylor4

Post by bgtaylor4 »

Sure. But the idea is get everyone using this calendar and not doing word-of-mouth end arounds.
bgtaylor4

Post by bgtaylor4 »

RussellHltn wrote:Since reservations only works by unit, there's always a possibility that someone else will jump in there. Particularly if say, RS decides they don't want to hold their exercise class (maybe the fumes bothered them on that first day), so they delete their event but fail to tell you.

It would be nice if they could bring back something like allowing the Building Scheduler to place events on a calendar. That way he's granting an exception for an event, not a unit.
In fact, at least at this point for my own ward (of two in the building) I have administrator rights and can schedule events. As the point was made in the webinar, there is a difference between reservations and events. The less I cross that line the better in the long run getting everyone on board using this program as they should. And as I've already pointed out to our leaders here, I could in fact block the building off 24/7 and run all events through me. Defeats the purposes behind this program! Unacceptable. Leaders, auxiliaries, and members are supposed to calendar their own events.

Return to “Calendar”