Bug: Added Administrator, email got sent to someone not associated with our unit

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
scareyut

Bug: Added Administrator, email got sent to someone not associated with our unit

Post by scareyut »

I am in a bishopric in a student ward, and just added an administrator to our calendar. Awhile later I get an email from someone asking me what this was all about. He's not in our unit, but somehow got an email saying he had been added as an admin. I checked the emails for the people that I added and they are correct and not even close to the email address of the person who got the email.

Let me know if I can provide any more info.
scareyut

Post by scareyut »

Ok, this is really weird. The automated email went to someone who isn't even LDS. What is going on?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

It's possible that the email in the LDS Account of the person you added is wrong or outdated.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
scareyut

Post by scareyut »

Is that the same email as is listed in the directory for the person I added? Or are they different? If different, is there a way for me to see what that email is? Or do I have to ask them to check?

In looking at my account, I don't even see a place to check, other than what is attached to the directory for my name. For one of them, I helped them setup their account so I know that it is correct. I'll have to ask the other one.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

scareyut wrote:
RussellHltn wrote:It's possible that the email in the LDS Account of the person you added is wrong or outdated.
Is that the same email as is listed in the directory for the person I added? Or are they different? If different, is there a way for me to see what that email is? Or do I have to ask them to check?
According to this post, only the email address in the Directory (which should correspond to what is in MLS) is used for communication by the Calendar system. The email address in LDS Account should not matter.

But if you wanted to verify what is in LDS Account just in case, you would have to ask the person you added as a calendar administrator to check. Leaders have no access to LDS Account information -- only the member can look there. They would simply login to ldsaccount.lds.org and look at their profile.
scareyut wrote:In looking at my account, I don't even see a place to check, other than what is attached to the directory for my name. For one of them, I helped them setup their account so I know that it is correct. I'll have to ask the other one.

Since you are in the bishopric, you'll be able to see the member's profile in the Directory. Make sure you check both the individual email address (which will be used first if present) as well as the household email address (which will be used if there is no individual email address).

Also, I haven't seen any information posted about the effect of someone unchecking the "Show in ward directory" box for one or both of the email addresses in their profile in the Directory. Will the Calendar system still use an address that is present in the Directory but has been hidden? I don't know the answer to that one, but it would probably be good to check out that setting for both the individual and household email addresses on the Directory as well.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
jdcr256
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jdcr256 »

aebrown wrote:Also, I haven't seen any information posted about the effect of someone unchecking the "Show in ward directory" box for one or both of the email addresses in their profile in the Directory. Will the Calendar system still use an address that is present in the Directory but has been hidden? I don't know the answer to that one, but it would probably be good to check out that setting for both the individual and household email addresses on the Directory as well.

The "Show in ward directory" option will only hide the email address, it does not determine if the email address is used for communication. So, if an email address exists, but is opted out, the address is still used to send notifications.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jdcr256 wrote:The "Show in ward directory" option will only hide the email address, it does not determine if the email address is used for communication. So, if an email address exists, but is opted out, the address is still used to send notifications.
Thanks -- that's good to know. And it helps narrow down the possible sources of the problem mentioned in the original post.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

Return to “Calendar”