Posted Tithing Settlement Signup Sheets - Proper?

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
ckmcdonald

Posted Tithing Settlement Signup Sheets - Proper?

Post by ckmcdonald »

The word running around now of several years, at least in a few Stakes in my area, is that CHQ has requested that tithing settlement signup sheets not be posted in public view (i.e. the clerk's office door).

Is this official policy or not?
dannykos

Post by dannykos »

Nothing I've heard - just posted mine on my door today ;)
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

ckmcdonald wrote:Is this official policy or not?

This really sounds like an unfounded rumor to me. When faced with such questions, I politely say to the person who is reporting that CHQ said we're not supposed to do X, "That's interesting. Could point me to the Handbook section or official letter that said that? That would really help me as I counsel with my stake presidency on this issue."

Nine times out of ten they can't point to anything official -- they just heard it from a friend of a friend. Every once in a while, they actually can point me to something official. Either way works out great -- if they have no source, I dismiss it as yet another rumor and move on with my life; if they have a source, I've just learned something new and I can discuss the issue reasonably with my stake presidency.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
allenjpl

Post by allenjpl »

I suppose it hinges on how you view the interview schedule. On the one hand, it certainly makes sense that Tithing Settlement is just like any other interview, and we generally don't advertise the fact that Sister Jones has a meeting with the Bishop on Tuesday Night. This view would probably result in the Executive Secretary making a lot of calls, inviting people to come meet with the Bishop. Of course, you could also take a more practical approach, and decide that since everyone has been invited to TS, noone will be all that fussed about a signup sheet.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

dannykos wrote:Nothing I've heard - just posted mine on my door today ;)
We were chastised for posting ours on the door a few years ago. But it had nothing to do with Tithing Settlement, it had to do with the fact that using tape (or even sticky-tack) on doors is expressly forbidden by our FM group. :-P

We have not had any concerns expressed regarding person's signing for Tithing Settlement on the sheets (now) taped to a classroom table outside the Clerk Office.
ckmcdonald

Post by ckmcdonald »

I'm suspecting that our local trend to avoid posting a TS signup sheet is based on a long chain of rumor and hearsay. If indeed it is not based on any official Church policy (which appears to be the case), I'm quite surprised how well intrenched the idea is in my area.

The only explanation I've heard for the practice is that toward the end of the signup period one might scan the list and see who didn't sign up.

I suspect that any Bishop of Stake Pres has the prerogative to implement such a practice at the Ward or Stake level. Maybe that's now the idea got started in my area.

If no one in the forum presents a reasonable explanation for why a TS signup sheet would be inappropriate, I believe I'll tell our Bishop (who wants a signup sheet but believes it's policy not to have one) that he can have one - assuming the Stake Pres hasn't made a statement on the subject.

Thanks for the input.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

ckmcdonald wrote:The only explanation I've heard for the practice is that toward the end of the signup period one might scan the list and see who didn't sign up.

What I've seen done is have a sign-up sheet with one page per-day. Remove the days that have passed. I think that would take care of that concern.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
dannykos

Post by dannykos »

RussellHltn wrote:What I've seen done is have a sign-up sheet with one page per-day. Remove the days that have passed. I think that would take care of that concern.

That's what I do - one sheet which has the next sunday and thursday on that I'm available for interviews. Then put up another sheet for the next week.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

ckmcdonald wrote:I suspect that any Bishop of Stake Pres has the prerogative to implement such a practice at the Ward or Stake level. Maybe that's now the idea got started in my area.

And that's a good point. It's certainly not against policy for a local priesthood leader to decide not to post signup sheets. The lack of a general Church policy wouldn't tie his hands in this regard. But other priesthood leaders in the area also shouldn't assume that just because other leaders in the area have implemented such a policy that they need to do so as well. Only priesthood leaders in the direct line of authority over a unit would have any say in the matter.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

RussellHltn wrote:What I've seen done is have a sign-up sheet with one page per-day. Remove the days that have passed. I think that would take care of that concern.
We do it this way as well. Also, we pull the sign-up sheets daily - in other words, we put them all out before Church on Sunday and pull them down after we finish counting Tithing. We keep them in the clerk's office so if someone want's to add their name any other time, a member of the bishopric or clerk can get the sheets for them to sign. Once a date is passed, that sheet does not go back out.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”