Accessibility Polices for Blind MLS User

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
hayimcohen

Accessibility Polices for Blind MLS User

Post by hayimcohen »

Hello,

Last week I was set apart as the Elders Quorum Secritary. As part of my responsabilities I need to be able to enter in reports into MLS using the computer in the ward's Clerk's office. However, I am legally blind. While my guess is the software is not accessible using a screen reader program such as JAWS or Window-Eyes, a screen magnification program, such as ZoomText (http://www.aisquared.com) should not have any problems with the software assuming MLS is MS Windows-based. (I have not yet been trained on the software, so I don't know what it loks like yet, so please excuse my ignorance).

While I prefer using a screen reader program, I do happen to have barely enough usable vision to use a screen magnification program, such as ZoomText.

What is Church policy regarding the installation of adaptive software on Church-owned computers? I can legally install ZoomText on the Clerk's office computer through my license, but I also want to be sure I do not violate Church policy.

If Church policy does not permit me to accomidate the software, what alternitive options are there for me to fulfill my calling?

If you have questions, please let me know.

Thanks for your help.

Warmly,
Hy

Lodi, California
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

The policy is that you need the permission of the stake president. I have no idea if MLS "plays well" with accessibility tools.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

MLS is a java-based application, if that helps at all.
hayimcohen

Post by hayimcohen »

Yeah, with it being Java-based, the installation of Java Access Bridge _may_ make it accessible to a screen reader such as JAWS. However, I just got an email from someone who uses JAWS (he's totally blind), and he said that 5 years ago there were some problems with the MLS software being accessible due to some JavaScript issues, and he said that LDS tech support verified the problems at their end. So, who knows if the problems he came across have been addressed in more recent versions or not. While I would much rather use a screen reader, I can use a screen magnification problem, which shouldn't have any problems with the MLS software, since the screen magnification portion doesn't need to access the Java Access Bridge. Luckily I'm pretty computer nerdy, but just have not used the MLS system. At least I won't have to do a bunch of work on it, since my responsibilities are fairly limited, so I can use what sight I have remaining to do what I need to do with the magnification software.

Thanks!

Warmly,
Hy

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”