JavaScript and jQuery assistance for the church

When the Church has need of help from the technology community, we will post that need in this forum.
barkeraj
Church Employee
Church Employee

JavaScript and jQuery assistance for the church

Post by barkeraj »

For the last few months I have been working on a project to create a Design Pattern Library (DPL) for our team of Interaction Designers here at the church. The DPL is similar to what Yahoo! has done but more specific to our needs, and with working code samples that can be used by the designers.

The purpose for the DPL is currently two fold:
  1. Save tithing dollars by providing components for both designers and developers that can be easily reused. Research is done once to find out what is the best component/plugin to use, and examples/documentation are provided to be able to easily add it into a given prototype. This saves time (tithing dollars) in research, insertion into prototypes, and insertion into the actual product.
  2. Consistency across applications. As our users start using more of our applications using the DPL, there will be less confusion in moving from app to app, as things will work consistently wherever they go. A date picker here will work the same as a date picker there.
We have chosen to use jQuery as the base for a lot of our dynamic elements. I can go into the details as to why if anyone would like to know. But pretty much anything that is dynamic will leverage jQuery going forward. We try to use existing jQuery plugins for a given pattern whenever possible, but will tweak it to our needs if needed, or even just start from the ground up.

We have a pretty long list of patterns we are wanting to establish and want to explore the potential of farming out some of that effort to anyone who may be interested in helping.

If you are pretty well versed in JavaScript and know jQuery pretty well (or are willing to be indoctrinated on it) we'd love to get some help. Let me know here or by private message.

I'm happy to answer any questions if the above is unclear, or you just want more details.
Aaron Barker
Front-end Development Lead for LDS.org (content portions, not apps) and Ward Executive Secretary.
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

This is cool! Let's get behind this. Mention it in your wards and quorums that we could use help in building this library!

Tom
CJohnson-p40

Post by CJohnson-p40 »

PM sent.

Looking forward to your reply.
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

CJohnson wrote:PM sent.

Looking forward to your reply.
Awesome! Thanks!

Tom

Return to “Development Help Wanted”