Personal Video Conferencing (PVC) versus Meetinghouse Webcast

Discussions about the desktop video conferencing solution provided by the Church

Moderators: MarchantRR, rodhyde

rgme

Personal Video Conferencing (PVC) versus Meetinghouse Webcast

Post by rgme »

I'm beginning to put together a proposal for video conferencing/webcast for my stake. The Personal Video Conferencing (PVC) and Meetinghouse Webcast (MW) systems seem to overlap in the utility they provide. However, PVC has the added benefit of two-way communication. Is there any instruction or advice that would direct towards one of the systems? Here are a few thoughts I've gathered (and please correct if I'm mistaken):
  1. Both can use external video sources, including the Sony EVI-D70 (Link, Post, Post)
  2. Both require either a computer (or Meetinghouse Webcast Communicator) at either end of the communication
  3. MW has options for a more complete production (e.g., multiple cameras).
  4. MW definitely has a lot more forum support.
  5. To me, the PVC setup seems easier to implement, and can be scaled from one-to-one meetings to full conferences.
Any thoughts? Is there a particular "right" solution? I'm also wondering the future direction; is the Church planning to proceed with both?
harddrive

Post by harddrive »

rgme wrote:I'm beginning to put together a proposal for video conferencing/webcast for my stake. The Personal Video Conferencing (PVC) and Meetinghouse Webcast (MW) systems seem to overlap in the utility they provide. However, PVC has the added benefit of two-way communication. Is there any instruction or advice that would direct towards one of the systems? Here are a few thoughts I've gathered (and please correct if I'm mistaken):
  1. Both can use external video sources, including the Sony EVI-D70 (Link, Post, Post)
  2. Both require either a computer (or Meetinghouse Webcast Communicator) at either end of the communication
  3. MW has options for a more complete production (e.g., multiple cameras).
  4. MW definitely has a lot more forum support.
  5. To me, the PVC setup seems easier to implement, and can be scaled from one-to-one meetings to full conferences.
Any thoughts? Is there a particular "right" solution? I'm also wondering the future direction; is the Church planning to proceed with both?

I don't know what the church's direction is, but I'm planning to use PVC so that my stake can do multiple building broadcast with it. I expect that we will do training using PVC and if everything works correctly, I can see PVC replacing Webcasting.

I'm just trying to figure out the best solution for what we are trying to accomplish. The big thing is about the second camera, which I will write about in the next thread.

Terry

Return to “Personal Video Conferencing”