Existing users not being auto subscribed to new calendars

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
kirkmeyers

Existing users not being auto subscribed to new calendars

Post by kirkmeyers »

After the 2.0 update (may have been there before). We have discovered that users that have already registered on the website are not being auto subscribed to new calendars. This has been verified by a number of individuals. The check box for auto subscription to new calendars was cleared on all these existing users and none of them ever cleared it themselves...including me. I then had a new user (never before registered) on the website go through the registration process and they WERE automatically subscribed to all calendars (stake and ward) and the check box for auto subscription IS checked for them. Has anyone else seen this? This is a significant issue as the calendars really need to be an "opt out" vs. "opt in" and it seems the bulk of existing users are not getting subscribed to new calendars.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

Clearing the checkbox to "Auto subscribe to new calendars" for registered users at that time may have been a bug in the update. But now that it has occurred there is little the programmers can do since they cannot tell who had that option checked before the update. Forcing that option to be checked now will create just as much an issue for those who don't want it checked. Getting the information out for all registered users to check their setting is all that I can see to be done.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
kirkmeyers

Post by kirkmeyers »

Really?? Too many users out there that have limited technology knowledge. We really need to re-think that choice. It is always better to have an opt-out approach, especially to something as crucial as a calendar. This really defeats the purpose of the layered calendaring in my opinion...the work around is to use one of the calendars that you know everyone was already on as too many users are going to miss this mass email approach and/or not really understand the issue. I would rather annoy a few people that thought they had already cleared the calendars from their view vs. the masses missing events because they weren't subscribed to a calendar.
kirkmeyers

Post by kirkmeyers »

Any other comments on this thread...this is a big issue that doesn't seem to be getting addressed? Everywhere throughout the FAQ and training it talks about members being auto subscribed to new calendars but if the user already existed that is just not the case! By all means if this is just an issue I am seeing point out the error in my ways but it has been reproducible with any user that already existed prior to the 2.0 update and DID NOT clear/uncheck the auto subscribe box by him or herself.
mwgbell

Post by mwgbell »

I tested it with my wife's account. She existed on the system, but had never used the new calendar. When she first looked at the new calendar, all of the calenders were unsubscribed. I also checked with the prior Stake President and current Stake Primary President. Neither had any Stake Calendars selected.

I agree with the commend below: I think it would be better to reset them all to "display"; and have a few grumble, then to have people blithely thinking they are subscribed and missing events. Our stake is using the old calendar through Year End. Maybe another alternative would be that when the Stake Administrator turns "off" the Classical Calendar, you set all of the calendars as "Subscribed" at that time?

Return to “Calendar”