Duplicate location name showing up for event scheduling

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
krowberry

Duplicate location name showing up for event scheduling

Post by krowberry »

I am the stake clerk and am working with the building scheduler. When I go into "Settings" and "Location & Rooms," I am seeing one entry for one of the buildings in the stake. When I go to schedule an event, the name of the building is showing up twice in the drop down list. When I edit the location information and turn off the box "This location can be scheduled by Wards and Stakes", the location still shows up for scheduling an event. However, if an event is scheduled at the shown location, it does not show up when looking for the events scheduled for that building. Any ideas on how to solve the problem?

FYI. I changed the name on the location entry from the FM group to a friendly name, which caused a new location entry to be created with the ward names. I am guessing that the issues are related, but I don't know how to get rid of this duplicate entry. Thanks for any ideas.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

krowberry wrote:When I edit the location information and turn off the box "This location can be scheduled by Wards and Stakes", the location still shows up for scheduling an event. However, if an event is scheduled at the shown location, it does not show up when looking for the events scheduled for that building. Any ideas on how to solve the problem?

That's unusual. If I uncheck the "location can be scheduled" box and save the location, I no longer see the location when scheduling events. Could you have browser caching issues that cause the location to still show up even after it's not available anymore?
krowberry wrote:FYI. I changed the name on the location entry from the FM group to a friendly name, which caused a new location entry to be created with the ward names. I am guessing that the issues are related, but I don't know how to get rid of this duplicate entry. Thanks for any ideas.

Other people have reported duplicate entries appearing when they change the names of official locations specified by the FM group. But on the other hand, I have always edited those names and have never had duplicate locations show up.

In any case, it seems like the fix should be to modify one of the names in such a way that you can distinguish the two buildings. One of the buildings should have far less events and reservations than the other, and you should work on moving all those events and reservations to the more commonly-used location. Then disable that building.

I know you said that you are having challenges disabling the building, but one additional thing you might want to check is what a different person's experience is after you have disabled the building. When they use a different computer and account to access the calendar, do they also still have the option of using the disabled building? That might help you narrow down whether it is a system issue or local to your browser.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
wkadams

Post by wkadams »

We essentially have this same problem. In our case, we have a building from another Stake showing up on the event pic list. However, it is not on the list of available locations nor any where on the "Locations & Rooms" setting. aebrown suggests modifying the name and working to move all the scheduled events to the correct building and then disabling. For me, the only place this building shows up is on the pic list. I can't modify the name or see events scheduled at that location unless they happen to be on my unit calendar. If they are on other unit calendars I can't see them since there is no available location selection for this building. In my case, I have reset my cache and have tried two browsers, Chrome and IE.

To be clear, there is a complicating factor for us. We were displaced from our building this year for a period of time. One of our units was using the building from the other Stake. So I suspect it is a holdover from that. But even given that, I still have no way to get rid of the building from the pic list. I am checking with our FM group to see if they have assigned us to the building. However, even if they have and they remove it, I don't know how I will get rid of the building from the pic list.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

wkadams wrote:We essentially have this same problem. In our case, we have a building from another Stake showing up on the event pic list. However, it is not on the list of available locations nor any where on the "Locations & Rooms" setting.

I suspect you'll need to contact an admin in the other stake to have them remove you from the list of users for that location.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
gemss

Post by gemss »

We're experiencing the same problem. I'm getting the same location displayed several times on both the calendar and locations setup page with no way to delete them. I've tried unchecking the box labeled "This location can be scheduled by Wards and Stakes" but they still show up on the calendar. We are also experiencing problems with locations disappearing from the calendar and dropping the reservations made to it.

Are there plans to keep the old calendar going into 2012 if the bugs with the new system aren't fixed by then?
gemss

Post by gemss »

We have the same location showing up 6 times on the "locations" screen. I am unable to delete them. Can anyone tell me how to get rid of at least 5 of them?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

gemss wrote:We have the same location showing up 6 times on the "locations" screen. I am unable to delete them. Can anyone tell me how to get rid of at least 5 of them?
What do you mean when you say you are unable to delete them? To delete a location, you need to first edit it, and then you will see a Remove button to the right of the Save button. You will not see a Remove button, however, for locations that came from the FMAT database -- it is only available for custom locations.

So are you aware that you need to Edit a location in order to be able to Remove it? Or are you trying that, but you don't see a Remove button. And if that is the case, do you not see a Remove button for each of the locations, or just for some of them?
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
jdcr256
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jdcr256 »

There is an issue with a very small number of units where our FMAT data duplicated certain buildings multiple times. The bug that caused the duplication was fixed a couple days ago, but we are still trying to clean up the data. The problem in the clean up is that we need to be sure not to delete locations that are being used, we need to find the specific duplicates that are not in actual use within the calendar app. In some cases, there are multiple instances of duplicates that both have reservations/events on them.

As of right now, we have cleaned up all but a small handful of the duplicates. If you have a duplicate, if you could ensure that it is marked as unscheduleable, and does not have any reservations/events scheduled on it. That will make it a lot easier to clean up.
gemss

Post by gemss »

Thanks for all your help. :D

Yes, I did go into the "edit" location, but it does not let me delete them, so it must be coming from the FMAT as mentioned.

We're in the Rigby Idaho South Stake and the locations that are in multiple are listed as "Garfield 1,2"....we have 6 of them. I tried to change the name of one of them to "Test" but it listed it 6 times as well. So we have 6 locations named Garfield 1,2 and 6 locations named "Test". :o

I created a new location for our Garfield 1st & 2nd ward build....not sure if that's going to create a problem for us later?

Our stake hasn't started using the new calendar yet.....just a few test schedules etc. (we're planning on jumping in head first on January 1) so feel free to do what ever you need to. :-)
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

gemss wrote:Yes, I did go into the "edit" location, but it does not let me delete them, so it must be coming from the FMAT as mentioned.

So it does sound like you are afflicted by the problem jdcr256 mentioned.
gemss wrote:We're in the Rigby Idaho South Stake and the locations that are in multiple are listed as "Garfield 1,2"....we have 6 of them. I tried to change the name of one of them to "Test" but it listed it 6 times as well. So we have 6 locations named Garfield 1,2 and 6 locations named "Test".

In order to make your life easier for now, and to make it easier for the developers to clean up this situation, here's what you need to do:
  1. Remove all locations that didn't come from FMAT (they are the locations that have a Remove button available when you Edit the location).
  2. Select one of the locations (the one that has the most events and reservations already created for it would be a good choice) and make sure that as you Edit that location you:
    1. Change the name to something distinct from the others (choose a name you're happy with being the public location name)
    2. Make sure that "This location can be scheduled by Wards and Stakes" is checked.
  3. Review all your existing events and reservations and for any that are associated with the 11 other locations, change them to use the one good location.
  4. For all other locations, Edit them and make sure that "This location can be scheduled by Wards and Stakes" is not checked.
That way you should only have one location that anyone can use for making new events and reservations, and it will be clear to the development team exactly which locations need to be removed (and they can do so with no negative impact on any of your calendar data).
gemss wrote:I created a new location for our Garfield 1st & 2nd ward build....not sure if that's going to create a problem for us later?

Yes, that will cause problems for you later. I'd recommend that you delete that location -- the last thing you need in your situation is one more location! :)

Return to “Calendar”