Calendar Events can't be added to iPhone Calendar

Discussions around the iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch versions of the Member Tools Application.
jmwest

Calendar Events can't be added to iPhone Calendar

Post by jmwest »

iStake had an option to add selected calendar events into the iPhone's calendar. I don't see this option available. I miss it!!

Will this be added soon?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jmwest wrote:iStake had an option to add selected calendar events into the iPhone's calendar. I don't see this option available. I miss it!!

Will this be added soon?
Independent of LDS Tools, you can certainly sync your calendar to the iPhone's calendar by using the iCal feed available through the Sync feature on the new Calendar. See Sync with Apple iCal Calendar in the calendar help system.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
jedware

Post by jedware »

aebrown wrote:Independent of LDS Tools, you can certainly sync your calendar to the iPhone's calendar by using the iCal feed available through the Sync feature on the new Calendar. See Sync with Apple iCal Calendar in the calendar help system.

Just FYI. I was having battery problems with my IPhone and even the 5.0.1 update did not solve my problems until I removed the subscribed LDS.org calendar from my phone.

From what I can see the LDS.org site is updating the subscribed calendar data far too often which is causing the iphone to burn battery in the background.

So YES, we need an option to add select events to our phones and not download a complete calendar to our mobile devices.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jedware wrote:From what I can see the LDS.org site is updating the subscribed calendar data far too often which is causing the iphone to burn battery in the background.
Note that the church cannot "push" the calendar to your phone. It just sits there until the phone asks for it. If it's burning up the battery, blame Apple (after checking for options on your phone), not the Church.

jedware wrote:So YES, we need an option to add select events to our phones and not download a complete calendar to our mobile devices.

You have that ability via the subscriptions setting in the new calendar. You can select which church calendars to subscribe to (that controls what's in your sync).

If the calendars are not set up in a way that works for you, you need to talk to your ward/stake leaders to change that. It's entirely up to the local leadership on how the calendars are set up.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jedware

Post by jedware »

RussellHltn wrote:Note that the church cannot "push" the calendar to your phone. It just sits there until the phone asks for it. If it's burning up the battery, blame Apple (after checking for options on your phone), not the Church.

I understand that, and I don't have time to debug exactly who is not following CALDAV standards but given I have numerous other CALDAV calendars that don't exhibit this problem my suspicion is the LDS.org site.

Up until the recent 2.0 calendar update most users had to use a third party server to sync their calendars correctly even with Google so the LDS.org still has some bugs to work out of the system.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jedware wrote:I understand that, and I don't have time to debug exactly who is not following CALDAV standards but given I have numerous other CALDAV calendars that don't exhibit this problem my suspicion is the LDS.org site.

Up until the recent 2.0 calendar update most users had to use a third party server to sync their calendars correctly even with Google so the LDS.org still has some bugs to work out of the system.

The text of some events seem to be a problem. Usually that results in things not loading, but I suppose it could cause a unit to act in a way that uses more power. In that case, I'd say the church system is a trigger for the battery problem.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jmwest

Post by jmwest »

I'm interested in adding only selected Stake events to my iPhone calendar, not every Stake event. That's why I miss that feature in iStake.
jdcr256
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jdcr256 »

jedware wrote:I understand that, and I don't have time to debug exactly who is not following CALDAV standards but given I have numerous other CALDAV calendars that don't exhibit this problem my suspicion is the LDS.org site.
The calendar at lds.org/church-calendar does not implement caldav at all. It merely provides a URL to access your calendar data in iCalendar format. I doubt that malformed iCalendar data would overwork your phones processor enough to noticeably effect battery life. If so, there is definitely an iOS bug. Otherwise, the only effect on battery life would depend on how frequently your device polls the sync URL.

Return to “iPhone/iPad Member Tools App”