Setup a wireless printing solution

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
luvmelody

Setup a wireless printing solution

Post by luvmelody »

Hello everyone,

It would be nice for our Stake Presidency to use our wireless notebook to print to the printer in the stake clerk's office. Is there a way to set up a print server or a network with the desktop in the office?

Jim Wagner
Eric Werny-p40

Lexmark

Post by Eric Werny-p40 »

I have seen ads about a wireless printer from Lexmark. But also you can set up a wireless IP printer for him too.

Just have to figure out how nasty of an install you want :)

Regards

EW
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Do you have any networking in place at all? While the church has been installing wireless networks, I think they strongly frown on anyone installing their own. At least ones that don't conform the church standards.

The way I've seen it done in my stake is that most printers have both a parallel port and USB port. When they want to print, they bring the laptop next to the printer and just connect to whatever port the office computer is not using.
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

Assuming that you have a wireless network installed, there are two possibilities.

1. You can purchase a wireless network printer. I say purchase as I don't know if the Church provides them as standard printers for units. There are several on the market and they have come down in price.

2. You can share the printer hooked to the stake MLS machine. I'm not sure if the standard MLS system is configured properly to allow you to share printers but it should be possible.

Tom
liver9-p40

Post by liver9-p40 »

RussellHltn wrote:Do you have any networking in place at all? While the church has been installing wireless networks, I think they strongly frown on anyone installing their own. At least ones that don't conform the church standards.
I am new, where do I find the "Church Standards" of the setting up of computers and stuff. I would like to know what can and can not be done. Thanks for any help.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

liver9 wrote:I am new, where do I find the "Church Standards" of the setting up of computers and stuff. I would like to know what can and can not be done.
You can start with .pdf]this document.

Unfortunately it doesn't cover your situation. For more information, I'd call clerk support and they can point you to the right department.

Keep in mind a primary issue here is security. Anytime you add a wireless connection, you are adding a dimension of security issues - either by allowing a way into the network or by sniffing the wireless traffic. Given the information in the membership system, security is a very real need.
skiptaylor

Post by skiptaylor »

RussellHltn wrote:Keep in mind a primary issue here is security. Anytime you add a wireless connection, you are adding a dimension of security issues - either by allowing a way into the network or by sniffing the wireless traffic. Given the information in the membership system, security is a very real need.
When the Stake Presidency wanted to add a wireless printer adapter they asked my thoughts. Primary was an issue of security as they may periodically be printing sensitive information.

My advice was to use "sneaker net", commonly known as a thumb, USB or flash drive.

They decided to follow my advice and the 'sneaker net' is working a lot better as they can carry it home to print there if desired.
Skip Taylor :eek:
Lancaster CA.
wadeburt

Wireless Printing

Post by wadeburt »

I installed a WAP and created a wireless network with it's own IP Scheme. I then Whitelist every computer accessing the wireless at the WAP. The Stake President has to approve the access.

I then installed an HP Jet Direct Card on the Laser Printer and gave it a DHCP reservation.

The printer is connected to the MLS computer with a USB cable, so there is no chance of unauthorized persons accessing the computer.

I use an HP Printer that is compatible with HP 5si printer drivers, so anyone can connect as long as they know the printer's IP Address.

Probably more than the average Clerk's office, but it comes in very handy for the Stake Presidency, me, and High Council when they are in session, and causes no concern over what they are accessing.
Wade E. Burt
Gallatin Ward High Priest Group Leader
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

So your WAP is separate from the network of MLS and can only access the printer and only those that are whitelisted (I am assuming through their MAC) can access the printer. Very interesting and effective.
- David
Jimmer-p40

Post by Jimmer-p40 »

One of the problems here is that HQ will not be able to support a wireless printer. Your FM group will most likely not get approval for the equipment that you would need either.

Return to “Clerk Computers”