Gospel Library in Amazon App Store

Discussions around the Android version of the Gospel Library application.
BenNicholls

Gospel Library in Amazon App Store

Post by BenNicholls »

Could Gospel Library be made available in the Amazon App Store? The Kindle Fire pre-orders (50,000 / week!) suggest it will be a very hot seller in just a few weeks when it is available. It would be great if Gospel Library were available for install on the Fire via the Amazon App Store since that will likely be the primary method to install it on the device. Kindle Fire is an Android tablet (2.3, I believe) so there should be few, if any, technical limitations. Thoughts?

Ben
paula24

Post by paula24 »

bennicholls wrote:Could Gospel Library be made available in the Amazon App Store? The Kindle Fire pre-orders (50,000 / week!) suggest it will be a very hot seller in just a few weeks when it is available. It would be great if Gospel Library were available for install on the Fire via the Amazon App Store since that will likely be the primary method to install it on the device. Kindle Fire is an Android tablet (2.3, I believe) so there should be few, if any, technical limitations. Thoughts?

Ben
I'm hoping for the same thing. From what I've read, the Fire will only use apps from the Amazon App store. We are going to purchase one to be our family tablet and we're hoping the Gospel Library will be available for it very soon. With the low price point, I'm guessing it will be very popular for families and will be a great tool for family gospel study.
BenNicholls

Post by BenNicholls »

paula24 wrote:We are going to purchase one to be our family tablet and we're hoping the Gospel Library will be available for it very soon. With the low price point, I'm guessing it will be very popular for families and will be a great tool for family gospel study.

Thanks for your reply, Paula! I think you may be right. I have tried gospel library on my phone (4.3"), a 7" tablet and a 10" tablet. I preferred reading the 7" tablet as my phone screen is a bit small and the 10" tablet is a bit too heavy.

From what I've read on Amazon's site, submitting Gospel Library to the Amazon App store will ensure that it is checked for compatibility with the Kindle Fire.

Here's a quote from Amazon FAQ the following link:
https://developer.amazon.com/help/faq.html

"How do I submit my app for Kindle Fire?
Kindle Fire features instant access to the Amazon Appstore for Android. To submit your app for Kindle Fire, simply join the Amazon Appstore Developer Program and submit your app using the Amazon Appstore Developer Portal. If you already have an app published in the Amazon Appstore for Android, we will automatically review your app for Kindle Fire.

How do I make sure my app is compatible with Kindle Fire?
If you already have an app published in the Amazon Appstore for Android, we will automatically review your app for Kindle Fire. We're testing our entire catalog of published apps now to ensure each app provides a high-quality customer experience on the device. If we find a problem with your app on Kindle Fire, we'll notify you and provide instructions for making your app available on Kindle Fire as appropriate."
BrumfieldAD

Post by BrumfieldAD »

We are planning to release Gospel Library and our other Android apps to the Amazon Appstore. Similar to other alternative app stores like B&N we are currently waiting for legal approval.

Asiel
scasplund

LDS Amazon Android Apps

Post by scasplund »

You mentioned the apps are pending legal approval. Do you know roughly how long it will take to receive the approval? Is the legal approval on the Church's side or Amazon's? Is it a couple of week process or year long process? Also will all the LDS apps (Gospel Library, LDS Tools, Mormon Channel) be available for Kindle Fire?
jasonhyer

Post by jasonhyer »

Legal appoval is required by the church. Unfortunately we cannot predict how log the approals will take. They will take as long as needed for the legal department to make sure that the church is protected and all internal requirements are met.

We do intend to release the other android applications to the various product markets as well.
Jason Hyer
BenNicholls

Post by BenNicholls »

Thanks Jason. I'm glad to hear that the church's tools are being planned for deployment in all of those ecosystems. Here's hoping the approval process moves quickly.
paula24

Post by paula24 »

jasonhyer wrote:Legal appoval is required by the church. Unfortunately we cannot predict how log the approals will take. They will take as long as needed for the legal department to make sure that the church is protected and all internal requirements are met.

We do intend to release the other android applications to the various product markets as well.

Thank you for answering our question. I look forward to their release. Thanks for all you do to help make gospel study portable. :)

And I completely agree bennicholls. The 7" size if perfect. I have an iPod touch and it's just OK for reading my scriptures and other gospel material, but I am looking forward to the larger size.
tunderwood

Post by tunderwood »

I just got a kindle fire today and was able to install gospel library and lds tools. On the Kindle under the device settings you can allow it to install applications from external sources. Then I just used the browser to download and install the apk from http://tech.lds.org/wiki/Gospel_Library_for_Android

Hope this helps.

Todd
dchris17

Install LDS Tools and Gospel Library on the Kindle Fire

Post by dchris17 »

Todd's suggestion worked great for me. The only thing I would add is just go to tech.lds.org/wiki on your Fire, then search for "LDS Tools Android" and "Gospel Library Android". On each wiki page, if you scroll down you will see a link for downloading the APK. After you download it, your fire will prompt you to install it.

Return to “Android Gospel Library”