Google Calendar Syncing

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
drdanielmorris

Google Calendar Syncing

Post by drdanielmorris »

It appears that syncing with google still does not work.
I have changed the url a couple of times and cannot get the LDS calendar to sync with google.

Does anybody know why?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

drdanielmorris wrote:It appears that syncing with google still does not work.
I have changed the url a couple of times and cannot get the LDS calendar to sync with google.

Does anybody know why?
It works fine for me. There are others who seem to be having problems (see this post, for example), but whatever the remaining problems, they clearly do not affect everyone.

When you say that you "cannot get the LDS calendar to sync with google" what do you mean? Are you trying to set up the sync using Google Calendar's "Add by URL" feature? Or something else? When you try, what happens -- no response, an error message, or it appears to succeed, but no events show up?
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

You may want to try the Calendar Validator mentioned in post #2 of this thread. Bad data from one event could cause your calendar to fail to sync.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
pwilson

Post by pwilson »

Seems as though it is an issue with the calendar, not the event. The calendar should be setup to not accept bad events/characters etc. Going through the validation process isn't really a great solution for every stake/ward to have to go through.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

pwilson wrote:Seems as though it is an issue with the calendar, not the event. The calendar should be setup to not accept bad events/characters etc. Going through the validation process isn't really a great solution for every stake/ward to have to go through.

Agreed, but from your standpoint, it will be "fixed" faster if you can clean up the data.

Even when the calendar is fixed, there's no guarantee that they'll go though the calendar and fix all the problems.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
elderadam

Post by elderadam »

Is there a way to sync from Google to the Ward Calendar? Currently, I have it syncing from the Ward Calendar to my google calendar through URL but it includes all the stake events too so it crowds my google calendar. I'd like to make changes on my google bishopric calendar and have it relect those changes automatically on the lds.org calendar. Is this possible?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

elderadam wrote:Is there a way to sync from Google to the Ward Calendar? Currently, I have it syncing from the Ward Calendar to my google calendar through URL but it includes all the stake events too so it crowds my google calendar. I'd like to make changes on my google bishopric calendar and have it relect those changes automatically on the lds.org calendar. Is this possible?
No. The sync is one-way only. The sync page makes this clear with the notice at the top of the page, which says:
You can sync the events in your Church calendar with your Google, Microsoft Outlook, or iCal calendar. Updates made to events in your Church calendar will be reflected in the sync'd calendar. Keep in mind that any events created or modified in Google, Microsoft Outlook, or iCal calendars will not be reflected in your Church calendar.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

elderadam wrote:Currently, I have it syncing from the Ward Calendar to my google calendar through URL but it includes all the stake events too so it crowds my google calendar.
It will sync only the calendars you are subscribed to. If you change your subscription, then that will clear up your Google calendar. (But you'll find it harder to get those calendars to view on the webpage - a known issue.)

Return to “Calendar”