Looking to print a 2010 tithing statement

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
aclawson

Looking to print a 2010 tithing statement

Post by aclawson »

How can I call up an EOY tithing statement for a member who has since moved out of the ward?

When I am on the report screen the member is not showing up in the list but I know they were here and had been giving donations throughout 2010.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

Tithing settlement is only conducted in the member's current unit even though they may have made donations in a previous unit that year. As such, once the membership records are moved to another unit so is the ability to print the previous year(s) tithing settlement statement(s). The tax valid statement for the last year they made a donation is available and is retained for the financial record retention period. Once the retention period expires so do all the tax valid statements.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
gregwanderson

Post by gregwanderson »

Be sure you're looking under Donor Statements and not in the Tithing Settlement section. As stated, there is essentially no reason to be in the Tithing Settlement section unless you are actually doing Tithing Settlement (or reporting about it) at the moment.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

As stated, you want to print a donor statement. To get there, go to Finances>Finance Reports>Donor Statements. For Fiscal Year, select 2010. If the member is requesting this for tax purposes, be sure to select "Official Tax Statement - United States" (-letterhead if you are going to print on your unit's letterhead) as the type of report. If the member still does not appear on this list, they may have been hidden. To unhide, go to Finances>Add/update donors find the member in the select and change the status to Visible.
aclawson

Post by aclawson »

Next time I'm at the building I'll take a look - it is odd in that there are no records of the member having made any donations ever at any point, it is like he never existed.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

But there is a record for a member that has moved out of the unit. It is the tax valid statement (donor statement). It will be available for the financial record retention period.

Beginning this year (it was suppose to happen last year but didn't), any member who contributes to more than one unit in which their record resides will receive a tax valid statement from CHQ. It will be mailed to the address of record at the time of mailing.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

Two thoughts then. 1) Is the donor record hidden? and 2) Were the donations attributed to the spouse (if the member was married)?
mfmohlma

Post by mfmohlma »

jdlessley wrote:Beginning this year (it was suppose to happen last year but didn't), any member who contributes to more than one unit in which their record resides will receive a tax valid statement from CHQ.

Has this been announced (again) somewhere? If it actually happened this year, that would be great.
gregwanderson

Post by gregwanderson »

This discussion inspired me to look at our donor list and change some donors who moved out a while ago to "Hidden." I took the liberty of "hiding" someone who moved out of the ward this year and also had made a donation this year. Although they are marked "hidden" they still show up on Donation Statement lists, presumably because they donated this year. But, next year, I suspect they will be off the list and that gives me one less task to do in January. Bottom line: Even if they are "hidden" they may appear on the list of donors if they have made a donation during the year. So the mystery of the original post may not have anything to do with the visible/hidden status.

Memories can be tricky. Are you sure the donor actually made a donation in 2010? If so, this is one of those times when it's nice to have hard copies of batch reports in your files. Try to figure out when the donor likely made a donation (which month, for example) in 2010 and search the print-outs to see if you can find their name. Then look for the same report(s) in MLS and try to figure out why they don't match (if, in fact, they don't match). Then check the donation slips that you should also have kept in a file. I'm really curious to find out what happened.
greggo

Post by greggo »

crislapi wrote:Were the donations attributed to the spouse (if the member was married)?
Or could it be their name changed from when the donations were made?

Return to “Local Unit Finance”