Cannot Save Events - Just Started Today 11/6

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
heyring

Cannot Save Events - Just Started Today 11/6

Post by heyring »

Up until today - Our calendar was working great - I had made all of the initial changes to time zones etc. and all of the calendars were being used by many users in the Stake successfully.

Today - Nobody can save events. The event creating window works properly, but when submitting the event - all we get is a progress indicator spinning around and around forever and forever. I have tried this on an iPad2, Clerk PC and now at home with Chrome, Mozilla and IE. Same result.

Anyone else having this problem today?
mfmohlma

Post by mfmohlma »

I just saved a test event successfully.
jhowell2000

Post by jhowell2000 »

I had the same problem this evening. I will try again in the a.m. Hopefully it will be resolved when less users are accessing system.
jhowell2000

Post by jhowell2000 »

I am still having problems creating and saving an event. It appears to be only on one day, November 19. I know there is an event scheduled in my building for another ward, but I cannot see it when I select weekly view and select the building. I also cannot create an event for this day at another location (not a church resource). I have tried creating this event by clicking the day in the month view, clicking the time in the week view and clicking add an event. All three attempts result in an eternal spinner with no event created. Any ideas? I am the web administrator, and have editor and building scheduling rights.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jhowell2000 wrote:I am still having problems creating and saving an event. It appears to be only on one day, November 19.

This sounds rather similar to the problem reported in Can NOT post Events with overlapping time periods Regardless of Locations or Resource. There are no good answers for that one, either. It seems that your problem and that one both are situations somehow related to your individual units' data.

The only suggestions I can think of are:
  1. Try to track down the problem using Firebug, as suggested in this post, with more details below.
  2. Try to remove other events from the problematic day until you figure out what is causing the problem. Of course, this approach has its own challenges -- the other events on that day are almost certainly real events that you want to remain, but you have no confidence that you will be able to put them back on that date given your understandable lack of confidence in the system for that date.
Some detailed instructions for using Firebug to track down problems were put in the private calendar beta test forum. I reproduce them here, slightly edited to make them more general. Not everyone has the technical ability to use Firebug or is inclined to do so, but some might find this helpful.
jdcr256 wrote:Firebug should be fairly easy to install (standard Firefox extension).

Once it is installed, there should be a button added to the top of your browser to turn it on. When it is on, it opens a section at the bottom of your browser. This new section will have a series of tabs across the top (Console, HTML, CSS, Script, etc.). You'll want to click on the Console tab, which will be turned off by default. Once you've clicked on the Console tab, it will have a button to turn it on (Enable). Do this, and then load up the calendar application.

As soon as you hit the application, you'll see a lot of web service requests (they just look like standard URL's) start filling the Firebug window. You can just use the calendar as normal, and watch the results in Firebug.

For example, you may want to see what happens when you create an event. When you click Create Event, you'll see a webservice POST request in Firebug with this URL:

https://lds.org/church-calendar/service ... eateEvent/

If the request succeeds, it will remain black and you'll see a '200' appear at the end of the URL (200 is the http code for a successful response).

If the request fails, it will turn red and you'll see a different error code after the URL (most likely a 404 or a 500).

If the request does not return, you'll just see a little spinning icon after the URL that never goes away.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
kirkmeyers

Post by kirkmeyers »

I was able to get around this issue by deleting the original event with the overlapping time and then re-creating both events from scratch. Just did it yesterday.
jhowell2000

Post by jhowell2000 »

I tried to create an event and got the spinner. Firebug says 500 Internal Server Error 1.43s. I don't know enough about Firebug to do anything further here.

I will talk with the other ward who has an event on this day. And see if they would be willing to delete and then re-add it. Thanks for looking at it. Or since it is just one day next week, I'll just remember and make sure the group involved advertises the event themselves. Overall, the calendar seems to be working well.
heyring

My problem was caused by an ALL-DAY Event

Post by heyring »

My problem ended up being on dates where there was an ALL-DAY event scheduled that wasn't associated with a resource.

There were two or three of them that appeared to all have been in the previous calendar before being converted to this current version.

My original issue that caused me to create this thread is now resolved.

Return to “Calendar”