iPad won't connect in building

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
zaneclark

iPad won't connect in building

Post by zaneclark »

I was in the stake clerk's office on Sunday helping with the new calendar and tried to connect with the wifi in the building with my iPad. It indicated that I had a connection and showed all the bars at the top but still could not complete the connection. Any idea on this? The clerk was able to connect to the wifi with the desktop without any problem...
I have been able to connect in the stake building in the past and can still connect in my own meetinghouse.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

zaneclark wrote:I was in the stake clerk's office on Sunday helping with the new calendar and tried to connect with the wifi in the building with my iPad. It indicated that I had a connection and showed all the bars at the top but still could not complete the connection. Any idea on this? The clerk was able to connect to the wifi with the desktop without any problem...
I have been able to connect in the stake building in the past and can still connect in my own meetinghouse.
It's possible to connect to the Wireless Access Point, but still not connect to the Internet. The problems can be at a couple of places:
  1. The WAP may not be connected to the firewall, because of a bad cable or networking component such as a switch between the firewall and the WAP.
  2. The firewall and everything behind it may be working just fine, but the broadband modem has lost its signal, or its connection to the firewall is faulty (bad cable or port).
For item #2, note that some WiFi connection indicators will show no problem at all when the wireless connection is established, even if there is no Internet connection; other indicators will show such a problem. So what the clerk saw may not have clearly indicated that he was connected and you were not. Note also that he may have been connected to a different WAP.

To troubleshoot, you can try to connect via Ethernet cable to various points in the network (with some device other than an iPad, since I don't think it has an RJ-45 port), and you can also move around the building to make sure that you are connecting to different WAPs. Check the WiFi connection and the Internet connection at each point.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
patwood

Post by patwood »

zaneclark wrote:I was in the stake clerk's office on Sunday helping with the new calendar and tried to connect with the wifi in the building with my iPad. It indicated that I had a connection and showed all the bars at the top but still could not complete the connection. Any idea on this? The clerk was able to connect to the wifi with the desktop without any problem...

I have also had the same problem when trying to connect my iPad to our meetinghouse wireless. From what I cound determine it looked like the connection was made successfully but then the iPad always gets kicked off within the first minute. After connecting I would launch a browser which even though set to lds.org as my home page (or even when using a blank home page) it would come up with the "blocked site" error and then I get kicked off of the wireless connection. I noticed that even though my address bar indicates that I am going to lds.org the blocked site error message shows the the blocked site is actually apple.com. My theory is that the iPad tries to call the mothership whenever a new connection is created by pinging or sending some sort of information to apple.com. when the church firewall sees the URL "apple.com" it blocks the content and disconnects the device from the connection. I have not found a way to tell the iPad to not contact Apple.com first. Any one else have this same experience? Anyone have a solution?

Thanks
jbh001

Post by jbh001 »

patwood wrote:My theory is that the iPad tries to call the mothership whenever a new connection is created by pinging or sending some sort of information to apple.com. when the church firewall sees the URL "apple.com" it blocks the content and disconnects the device from the connection.
I don't know about disconnecting the device, but the iPad trying to ping apple.com is highly likely. Apple has stated that they collect anonymous usage information from their iOS devices so they can see how they are being used in hopes to further improve the user experience. (See items 5, 8, and 9.) Blocking of apple.com by the Church firewall is also likely to prevent access to trailers.apple.com.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

It seems unlikely that the church system would disconnect any devices that tried to connect to a site, but perhaps the iOS system disconnects itself if I can't call home.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
bsglover

I am having same issue at my Stake Center

Post by bsglover »

I plan on using my iPad for Clerk Training during Leadership training. I am the Stake Clerk, I entered the correct password and the access appeared to open, but will not stay open long enough to connect to anything. It bounces between connected and not in a matter of seconds. When I went into the connection it was displaying a message of "renew lease." I really would like to use my iPad and projector for training to free up the Stake Laptop and projector for someone else's use.

Any assistance would be appreciated.
harddrive

Post by harddrive »

bsglover wrote:I plan on using my iPad for Clerk Training during Leadership training. I am the Stake Clerk, I entered the correct password and the access appeared to open, but will not stay open long enough to connect to anything. It bounces between connected and not in a matter of seconds. When I went into the connection it was displaying a message of "renew lease." I really would like to use my iPad and projector for training to free up the Stake Laptop and projector for someone else's use.

Any assistance would be appreciated.
I thought that I read somewhere that the Apple iPod/iPad would have to have their wireless connection, at times, set up manually The reason is because the network setting will try to negotiate at WEP instead of WPA.

have you tried to make the connection manually and making sure that all setting were done manually instead of automatically.

Terry
bsglover

Post by bsglover »

Terry,

Thank you... How would I go about that exactly? I can get to the settings, but am unsure what exactly to do from there. I am a novice iPad user.

Stephen Glover
harddrive

Post by harddrive »

bsglover wrote:Terry,

Thank you... How would I go about that exactly? I can get to the settings, but am unsure what exactly to do from there. I am a novice iPad user.

Stephen Glover

if it is anything like my iPod touch. Then when you get into setting, look for Wi-Fi. Touch it and it should bring you to Wi-Fi Networks screen. Under there, you will see Other....

Touch it and then you can type in LDSAccess, then click on Security and pick either WPA or WPA2. Then go back a screen and type in the password and then touch join.

That should do it.
bsglover

Post by bsglover »

After much manipulation and fussing the manual connection finally worked. Thank you Terry.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”