Event Approval

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
jenpratt

Event Approval

Post by jenpratt »

The old calendar required the building scheduler (me) to approve all events that were submitted. Will the "submit an event" rather than "add an event" feature ever be brought back?
In the current calendar, any person can schedule a family event and take a ward's time unless I block off the whole calendar. Even if I reserve a time for a ward, someone from that ward can schedule a private event, during the time the ward had planned to use it, as long as they haven't added the event officially. Is there any way to at least have me notified that an event has been scheduled so I can check to make sure it's okay? Of course it's preferable to have them know it's pending until approval, rather than contacting them after the fact and telling them it's actually not available after all.
I'm hoping the approval feature will return.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

jenpratt wrote:The old calendar required the building scheduler (me) to approve all events that were submitted. Will the "submit an event" rather than "add an event" feature ever be brought back?
We have been told the "Submit Event" capability is on the list of features to be considered for some future release. It will not replace the "Add Event" feature since the paradigm for the new calendar is a distributed scheduling model and editors must be able to add events to calendars to which they have edit rights. For further information see the calendar help. The "Scheduling Events" section will be helpful in understanding the scheduling model of the new calendar.
jenpratt wrote:In the current calendar, any person can schedule a family event and take a ward's time unless I block off the whole calendar.
Not everyone can create events as you describe. Only those with editor rights can do this. Refer to the calendar help, Managing Rights and Roles, for further information.
jenpratt wrote:Even if I reserve a time for a ward, someone from that ward can schedule a private event, during the time the ward had planned to use it, as long as they haven't added the event officially.
This is only partly correct. Only those with editor rights can schedule an event. Have faith that those who are given those editor rights are not going to abuse this privilege. If they do it will be quite easy to correct and even remove this privilege when it happens.

The capability to schedule private or family events is a concern posted many times in the forum. Without a "Submit Event" feature those who need to submit a private or family event cannot do so without contacting someone with editor rights such as the ward website administrator or building scheduler. Even if a calendar is created expressly for these types of events only those with edit rights to that calendar can schedule the event. Members of the unit must contact one of those editors to schedule their event.
jenpratt wrote:Is there any way to at least have me notified that an event has been scheduled ...
Not currently. There is a notification feature for events but that is at the discretion of those who create the event. When that notice goes out may not be when the event is created. You would have to be subscribed to the calendar in which the event is created to get this notice. Building schedulers can only subscribe to calendars for their ward or stake. They cannot see any other calendars.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jenpratt wrote:Even if I reserve a time for a ward, someone from that ward can schedule a private event, during the time the ward had planned to use it, as long as they haven't added the event officially.

If someone schedules an event, it has been added officially. It makes no difference whether the calendar is private or public. The system will work better if wards take responsibility for the scheduling of events within their reserved time blocks -- once the building scheduler has assigned time blocks to a ward through the Reservations feature, wards should work out how the events are then scheduled then. This should involve:
  1. Training of all editors so that they know what an appropriate use of the building is.
  2. An overall strategy for private calendars. All private calendars have to be created or approved by a calendar administrator, so it's not like an editor can create a private calendar with no one knowing about it.
  3. Guidelines for auxiliaries' usage of the building within the assigned times. For example, if the building scheduler has reserved the building for Ward A each Tuesday evening, the ward then can decide that the YM have the cultural hall on the 1st Tuesday of the month and the YW have the cultural hall on the 3rd Tuesday, and it's first-come, first-served on the other Tuesdays.
Each ward will approach this issue separately, but the building scheduler shouldn't have to worry about it once the time has been reserved for the ward.
jdlessley wrote:
jenpratt wrote:Is there any way to at least have me notified that an event has been scheduled ...
Not currently. There is a notification feature for events but that is at the discretion of those who create the event. When that notice goes out may not be when the event is created.
And I would note that the notifications feature is currently disabled, but the development team is planning to reactivate it shortly.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

Return to “Calendar”