Resource Reservations

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
mmkids6

Resource Reservations

Post by mmkids6 »

The system allows you to go in on the resources and block out specific time frames for things like YM/YW activity night. The question is, if a ward does this, will the system allow the YM or YW public calendars to schedule their class activities during that time, or will it come up with a conflict because it is blocked out?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Resources work to the unit level. If someone in that unit decides to schedule an activity (perhaps the Relief Society), it will be allowed, but it may throw a message about a "possible conflict".

If someone from another unit tries to schedule an activity, they will be denied because of the reservation.

Building schedulers override any building reservation.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

Let's make sure the correct terms are being used because a "block" and a "reservation" have different consequences. If a block is being used then no one except a building scheduler can schedule resources during the blocked time period. If a reservation is being used then only editors within the unit for which the reservation has been made can schedule an event during the reservation time period.

So to answer the question as stated, there will be a conflict when an editor for a YM or YW calendar tries to schedule an event for an activity during the the blocked time. However, if a reservation for the ward has been set up by the building scheduler, then only that ward can schedule events for an activity during the reservation time period. All other wards will get a conflict notice and not be able to schedule an event.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
LesleyAnn

Post by LesleyAnn »

I am a bldg scheduler and am having trouble reserving a resource. Is there a way to do this that I am missing? I see the resources listed, but there is no way to click on it or save it that I can see. Help?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

lesleyann wrote:I am a bldg scheduler and am having trouble reserving a resource. Is there a way to do this that I am missing? I see the resources listed, but there is no way to click on it or save it that I can see. Help?
To make a reservation, you go to Settings > Reservations, then select the building you are interested in, and then create a reservation (either by clicking the Add Reservation link or by clicking in the calendar). Then you fill in the details, including which resource, which ward is assigned, etc.

Could you supply some more details? It's not clear to me where you are looking when you say "I see the resources listed."

Also make sure that you are not confusing a Reservation with an Event.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
LesleyAnn

Post by LesleyAnn »

The resources I see are rooms in the building listed out:
kitchen
cultural hall
RS room
Chapel
Room 107
etc etc

There are some of the resources listed but there is no way to place a check next to them, click on them & no place to fill in the information as you suggested. While I CAN click on the building and ward, I can't click on the resource.

Also, I do not see the difference between and event and a reservation. I don't see the word 'event' anywhere.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

lesleyann wrote:There are some of the resources listed but there is no way to place a check next to them, click on them & no place to fill in the information as you suggested. While I CAN click on the building and ward, I can't click on the resource.
What would be helpful is for you to explain where you are seeing the resources (not which resources you are seeing).

Are you creating an event in the main calendar screen? That can be done by clicking the "Add Event" button (to the right of the Week and Month view buttons at the top), or by clicking on a day in the Month view, or selecting a time range on a date in the Week view.

Or are you creating a reservation by going into Settings, then choosing Reservations? Once you are there, you can add a reservation by actions similar to what I described above for events.

In either of these cases, you will be presented with a "New Event" or "New Reservation" popup that will allow you to give it a name and choose a calendar. There will also be a link on that popup labeled "Edit Event Details" or "Edit Reservation Details". On those subsequent Details screens you will be able to select a location and specific resources in that location.
lesleyann wrote:Also, I do not see the difference between and event and a reservation.
Read Reserve a Location for a Ward or Stake in the Calendar Help system to help you learn the very important distinctions between events and reservations.
lesleyann wrote:I don't see the word 'event' anywhere.
The word "Event" is all over the place on the main calendar screen. There is an Add Event button (visible if you are a calendar editor or administrator for at least one calendar). When you click any existing event, you will see the Event Details popup. And as you create or edit an event, the word "Event" appears lots of places.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
mmkids6

Post by mmkids6 »

I need some clarification as you block out a specific time for a Ward, say for YM/YW Activity Night. What does it mean: Blocked - Location Unavailable, versus the references to the Stake itself, in the pull down box?

Location Reserved for
-- Select a unit --Blocked - Location Unavailable--referenced to Stake

Rooms at this location
Reserve entire location
Aaronic Priesthood Room Chapel Cultural Hall Kitchen Primary Room Relief Society Room Stage Young Men Room Young Women Room
zaneclark

Post by zaneclark »

I have different problem related to the scheduling resources.. I can schedule them, including a specific room, but the item remains greyed out on the resource calendar and doesn't show at all on the main calendar... What am I doing wrong? I had tried to find the answer in the help pages but it doesn't seem to address this issue...
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

mmkids6 wrote:I need some clarification as you block out a specific time for a Ward, say for YM/YW Activity Night. What does it mean: Blocked - Location Unavailable, versus the references to the Stake itself, in the pull down box?
If you select "Blocked" then only a Building Scheduler can schedule an event during that time period for that resource.

If you select "Stake" then only a Building Scheduler or an editor of a stake calendar can schedule an event during that time period for that resource.

The typical use for reservations is to reserve the building for "Ward A" on Tuesdays and "Ward B" on Wednesdays. Each unit can scheduled events during their night, but can't schedule an event on the other unit's night.

zaneclark wrote:I have different problem related to the scheduling resources.. I can schedule them, including a specific room, but the item remains greyed out on the resource calendar and doesn't show at all on the main calendar... What am I doing wrong?

Reservations are not events. Only events show on the main calendar.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Calendar”