How long do we need to keep hardcopies of membership records?

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
JoeHaroldsen

How long do we need to keep hardcopies of membership records?

Post by JoeHaroldsen »

How long do we need to hold on to hard copies of some of the membership records? In particular the membership transaction report and the membership record update reports?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

JoeHaroldsen wrote:How long do we need to hold on to hard copies of some of the membership records? In particular the membership transaction report and the membership record update reports?

The current record retention policy for membership records is quite simple: Records should be stored only as long as they are needed, and then they should be destroyed.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

And, for us, a 1-inch binder fits the bill nicely. When the binder gets full, we shred the oldest month's transaction reports. I have needed to look back that far, but no further in the past 5 years (if memory serves correctly).
greggo

Post by greggo »

I understood that there was no clear policy that hard copies even need to be printed. Am I missing something?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

greggo wrote:I understood that there was no clear policy that hard copies even need to be printed. Am I missing something?

I don't think there's any requirement to print them, but you should be aware that if there's any confidential information (such as a current disfellowshipment) you won't see it on the screen, but will see it on the printed copy. The Bishop should be made aware of anything like that on membership records moving into the ward.

So by failing to print or print preview, you may be missing something important.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Membership Help”