Cannot create annual repeating events

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
PaulL

Cannot create annual repeating events

Post by PaulL »

Cannot create events that repeat yearly. Neither "a specic date" or "a specific number of occurrences" will work. Very frustrating. It always reports "correct the highlighted area" and won't complete.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

paull wrote:Cannot create events that repeat yearly. Neither "a specic date" or "a specific number of occurrences" will work. Very frustrating. It always reports "correct the highlighted area" and won't complete.
I'll bet that you can indeed create such events, but you are bumping up against the new 2-year limitation on repeating events. Try setting the specific number of occurrences to 2, or set the end date to something less than 2 years in the future.

I know that this limitation makes annual events less useful than they could be, but at least you can enter the events, and refresh the end date every year or two.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

aebrown wrote:I'll bet that you can indeed create such events, but you are bumping up against the new 2-year limitation on repeating events.

I don't recall running into the problem with annual events, but I have seen situations where once you trigger an error, you have to abandon the form and start over. It simply will not save.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

aebrown wrote:I'll bet that you can indeed create such events, but you are bumping up against the new 2-year limitation on repeating events. Try setting the specific number of occurrences to 2, or set the end date to something less than 2 years in the future.

I know that this limitation makes annual events less useful than they could be, but at least you can enter the events, and refresh the end date every year or two.

I hit this limitation this morning as well. And even though I knew about the 2 year limitation I didn't realize that was the problem for about 5 minutes. I don't know if I would have figured it out at all if I didn't already know about the limitation. The error message really needs to be more specific.
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

eblood66 wrote:The error message really needs to be more specific.
And furthermore, the system SHOULD NOT offer dates it won't accept if I choose them. In the "Repeats Until" dropdown box, I can select a date as far away as the year 2030! I'm sure there is a good computer reason for offering dates you can't actually use to make your repeating entry, but it is frustrating for the users.

It's a little like the following dialog at the ice cream store:
[INDENT]Clerk: "Would you like vanilla or chocolate?"
You: "Chocolate, please"
Clerk: "I'm sorry, we are out of chocolate."[/INDENT]
PaulL

Post by PaulL »

I agree. It shouldn't let you select dates or repetition values that are not allowed ... Or at least it should tell you WHY it won't accept it. As is, it only tells you "Sorry, you must correct the highlighted areas before you can save."

I just tried it using a date only two years away (tried both by date and number occurrences) and it works.

Too bad it didn't ever state the restrictions. :-(

Return to “Calendar”