Donation bank deposit amount doesn't match donation/check amount

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
somedood

Donation bank deposit amount doesn't match donation/check amount

Post by somedood »

This problem has happened with 2 members, one of them being with me.

We enter a donation in MLS after comparing the amount on both the check and the donation slip. In this case one member had written a different amount in the box on the right hand side of the check, but the line below where the amount is written in words it was different. The second case was bad handwriting on my part, where the one number on numerical part of the check looked it could have been 2 different number. In both cases the bank deposited the amount that differred from the donation slip and what was verified on the check.

For both of these the members are ok with the amount but would like to adjust the amount shown for donations so that it matches their bank records. Do I just go back into the donation batch that was affected and change the amount for the individual to match the amount withdrawn from their bank account? Would doing this cause other problems? Is there a way to put notes for that batch or donation explaining why the amount was changed, or would that just be done on the physical white copy of the donation slip?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Prior to the CUBS conversion, the correct course of action was exactly what you suggested: you would go into the donation batch and make the correction to the individual donation slip. But I haven't run into this situation since the change to CUBS, so I'm not sure. You could certainly ask Local Unit Support for guidance, or perhaps someone else on the forum has done this.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

You should have already received an MLS message from CHQ about the difference in the batch reported total against the amount the bank calculated. The end result for you is still the same. You will need to contact LUS and have them change the batch. This is what the release notes to v 3.4.0 says:
Once a donation (in a deposit) or an expense has cleared the bank, units will not be able to go into the closed batch and change the amount of the donation or expense.
LUS most likely will correct the amount for you. I only say this because MLS 3.4.1 no longer permits donation batches to be resent. It is possible they may ask you to correct the amount in MLS and resend the batch. But they would have to do something on their end to allow this to happen.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
somedood

Post by somedood »

This is a follow-up after talking with LUS about the issue, and it looks like jdlessley is correct. LUS should correct the amount after headquarters reconciles the amounts, and MLS should reflect the correct amount once it is updated in Salt Lake. I haven't checked MLS since speaking with LUS (the amount was still incorrect when i chcked it last, and it had been a few weeks), but the LUS individual did say that if it has been a while and the changes weren't showing up in MLS it would be good to call back while having access to MLS and whatever banking information the member had to help reconcile.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”