Gospel Library on Pre 3?

Discussions around the WebOS (Palm Pre, Palm Pixi, HP Touchpad) versions of the Gospel Library application.
sloanie

Gospel Library on Pre 3?

Post by sloanie »

I just switched from the Original (Sprint) Pre to a Pre 3 (imported from UK, operating on T-Mobile).

If the Gospel Library app has been working on the Touch Pad in emulation mode (and I'm also reading that it's been adapted to work on full screen on TouchPad?), what needs to happen for it to work on the Pre 3? Perhaps it just needs to be marked as compatible in the webOS app catalog? (Edit: the App Catalog does show this as being compatible with the Pre, Pre 2, Veer and Touchpad. Certainly it should work on the Pre 3, even if it hasn't been optimized in any way to work on the larger screen of the Pre 3?)

(Gospel Library appears to be one of the few apps that didn't restore to my Pre 3, and when I search for the app in the App Catalog it does not appear. The Mormon Channel app, however, did download automatically to my new phone and it works great.)

Thoughts? I realize that due to HP canceling this product state-side will severely limit any demand for the app, so I'm only hoping there's a simple change that needs to be made to make it available in the app catalog for the Pre 3-- I wouldn't expect more work than that.
danielschelin

Post by danielschelin »

sloanie wrote:I just switched from the Original (Sprint) Pre to a Pre 3 (imported from UK, operating on T-Mobile).

If the Gospel Library app has been working on the Touch Pad in emulation mode (and I'm also reading that it's been adapted to work on full screen on TouchPad?), what needs to happen for it to work on the Pre 3? Perhaps it just needs to be marked as compatible in the webOS app catalog? (Edit: the App Catalog does show this as being compatible with the Pre, Pre 2, Veer and Touchpad. Certainly it should work on the Pre 3, even if it hasn't been optimized in any way to work on the larger screen of the Pre 3?)

(Gospel Library appears to be one of the few apps that didn't restore to my Pre 3, and when I search for the app in the App Catalog it does not appear. The Mormon Channel app, however, did download automatically to my new phone and it works great.)

Thoughts? I realize that due to HP canceling this product state-side will severely limit any demand for the app, so I'm only hoping there's a simple change that needs to be made to make it available in the app catalog for the Pre 3-- I wouldn't expect more work than that.

It's working great on my pre3. It didn't show up in the app catalog so I had to create the ipk using internals app and ipk packager. Did the same for LDS Tools.
rmanpaul

Post by rmanpaul »

danielschelin wrote:It's working great on my pre3. It didn't show up in the app catalog so I had to create the ipk using internals app and ipk packager. Did the same for LDS Tools.
Hi, can you confirm how I do this as I would love both apps on my Pre 3?

Thanks

Paul
kmartind

Post by kmartind »

rmanpaul wrote:Hi, can you confirm how I do this as I would love both apps on my Pre 3?

To create a .ipk from an installed application, you would need to first install it on a device that it supports (for example a Pre2), then use a tool like Internalz pro to help you copy the installed application directory from the device to your PC and use the packager program to generate the ipk package file on the PC. You could then copy the ipk to the Pre3 and install it using Preware or similar. Overall, it's not particularly difficult now that all the needed tools are readily available, but takes some time and effort.

It would be best if the application were simply updated in the catalog to indicate it supports the Pre3, then it could just be installed normally without all the hassle, but in the meantime, a link to a .ipk file is below (hopefully that's OK since it's a freely available application, if not I'll remove it).

The easiest way to install the ipk would probably be to download webOS Quick Install and use that to install it, or load Preware onto your Pre3, then connect your phone in USB disk mode, copy the ipk file to it, and install it on the phone using Preware.

Gospel Library 1.0.4 http://www.box.net/shared/o9ha0qasf2tlq7r5o7oc
edwardday

THANK YOU! Just loaded the gospel library on my PRE 3

Post by edwardday »

Does anyone have the .Ipk for LDS tools? I know a number of people with touchpad's and Pre 3 who would like to have access to all of the lds apps.
kmartind

Post by kmartind »

edwardday wrote:Does anyone have the .Ipk for LDS tools? I know a number of people with touchpad's and Pre 3 who would like to have access to all of the lds apps.

Updated version, should work on both the Pre 3 and TouchPad, HOWEVER, it should be considered unofficial/unsupported and when the updated version does show up in the HP App catalog it would be a good idea to remove and load that one instead, in case of further changes. In other words, use at own risk:
LDS Tools 1.0.1 TEST: http://www.box.net/shared/lx234b5rl8865m06nuys
(This is in contrast to the gospel library ipk above which is just a repackage of the version that's already in the app catalog, but even in that case it might be best to re-install from the app catalog once it's available there for the Pre 3).
rmanpaul

Post by rmanpaul »

Does anyone know when these are likely to update for Pre 3. I have tried and failed to install both Tools and Gospel Library on my machine.
kmartind

Post by kmartind »

rmanpaul wrote:Does anyone know when these are likely to update for Pre 3. I have tried and failed to install both Tools and Gospel Library on my machine.

I don't know, it seems to sometimes take quite a while (anyone who can confirm that the change has even been submitted for either app can feel free to chime in). In the meantime the .ipk should work using PreWare to install it after copying the file over to the device. WebOS Quick Install is somtimes hit and miss when it comes to installing random packages.
stevenrushing

Post by stevenrushing »

Thanks so much for this! First post on this forum, last post on this forum, and just because you are so great as to have gotten Gospel Library on my Pre3! Thanks!
kmartind

Post by kmartind »

Just a quick note to indicate that the above Gospel Library IPK is somewhat out of date now, as it doesn't include the 2012 curriculum, etc. The easiest way to get all the newer content on a Pre3 currently (while still keeping all the built-in functionality of the application) is to install the unofficial version as mentioned in other posts in this forum, and documented in the FAQ on the wiki page:

https://tech.lds.org/wiki/Gospel_Librar ... rt_-_webOS

Note that there may be further updates/changes, so be sure to check other posts in this forum, especially under the TouchPad Apps thread, for any recent updates.
If you need non-English languages, there is also information in the TouchPad Apps thread about the work-in-progress GL Catalog application that downloads content on the fly and supports multiple langauges. Keep in mind that this alternate multi-lingual application does not yet have some of the extra features available in both the standard and the unofficial Gospel Library app.

Return to “WebOS Gospel Library”