How many times will SLC HQ attempt to deposit a check before returning as NSF?

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
aclawson

How many times will SLC HQ attempt to deposit a check before returning as NSF?

Post by aclawson »

A donation check from a member was rejected for NSF on 10/25 and 10/27. Will SLC make any more attempts to cash? Per the documentation the check will be sent back to the member without any involvement from the local unit and will automatically make a correction in the records - the only question is how many attempts to deposit will be made before physically returning the check?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

aclawson wrote:A donation check from a member was rejected for NSF on 10/25 and 10/27. Will SLC make any more attempts to cash? Per the documentation the check will be sent back to the member without any involvement from the local unit and will automatically make a correction in the records - the only question is how many attempts to deposit will be made before physically returning the check?

I can't find a source for this, but my recollection is that CHQ will only try to deposit a check once. If it fails, they return the check.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

aebrown wrote:I can't find a source for this, but my recollection is that CHQ will only try to deposit a check once. If it fails, they return the check.
This is the way it used to work. The source was the instructions from CHQ that were included with the returned check.
aclawson wrote:Per the documentation the check will be sent back to the member without any involvement from the local unit...
Interesting. Looks like they changed to procedure a bit. I think it will keep returned checks a bit more discrete.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aclawson

Post by aclawson »

Odd - they did try to deposit it twice.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

Mikerowaved wrote:Interesting. Looks like they changed to procedure a bit. I think it will keep returned checks a bit more discrete.
This was one of the (many) changes introduced with CUBS.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

aclawson wrote:A donation check from a member was rejected for NSF on 10/25 and 10/27. Will SLC make any more attempts to cash?
The unofficial banking industry standard used to be to try twice. That would let many checks through that were racing deposits, and many banks would only charge one NSF fee for the double attempt. I do not know if that is still the practice, but I doubt that there would be any more attempts in this case.

If there is a serious concern, you could always inquire at LUS.
lrcurtisiii

Re: How many times will SLC HQ attempt to deposit a check before returning as NSF?

Post by lrcurtisiii »

Had an NSF check written a at least 3 months ago. It was only put through the bank one time and not been returned to me yet. Was wondering if it will be returned to me.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: How many times will SLC HQ attempt to deposit a check before returning as NSF?

Post by russellhltn »

lrcurtisiii wrote:Had an NSF check written a at least 3 months ago. It was only put through the bank one time and not been returned to me yet. Was wondering if it will be returned to me.
Given the changes in banking, I suspect the physical check will never be returned. It was scanned at the point of deposit (a local bank) and continued it's journey electronically. Long gone are the days when the physical check made the journey. I'm not sure what the retention period is. The physical check might have already been destroyed by the local bank. (That's a banking standards thing, not a church thing.)

I think the church's policy is to simply inform whom they can, cancel the donation (rather than allow for a replacement check) and consider the matter closed. Since they don't have possession of the physical check, they can't return it to you.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”