Calendar input in diffrent time zone

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
lalosee

Calendar input in diffrent time zone

Post by lalosee »

I am an assistant Salt Lake Holladay Stake Clerk. I am currently stationed in Australia for two months for work. While I am here I am inputting events for the 2012 Stake calendar so we can print it in the new Stake directly we publish before the end of this year. Because of my current location in Australia the information I input here comes out on the new on-line calendar accessed in Salt Lake on the wrong day and time. I know that I can adjust the time I input here, but that is difficult and easy to mess up. Also most of the data is already in. Is there a way to easily adjust for this globally? The new notice for meeting places in different time zones perhaps applies. Also for the short term I thought about downloading the calendar here into Excell so it could be printed out for the directory need. When I tried to do that it would only print a pdf file which makes it difficult to modify to make corrections and additions. Can you tell me how to get it into an Excell file?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

lalosee wrote:I am an assistant Salt Lake Holladay Stake Clerk. I am currently stationed in Australia for two months for work. While I am here I am inputting events for the 2012 Stake calendar so we can print it in the new Stake directly we publish before the end of this year. Because of my current location in Australia the information I input here comes out on the new on-line calendar accessed in Salt Lake on the wrong day and time. I know that I can adjust the time I input here, but that is difficult and easy to mess up. Also most of the data is already in. Is there a way to easily adjust for this globally?
Since you are thinking in Mountain Time when you are entering events, the most straightforward way I can think of is to change your system time zone to Mountain Time while you are working on the calendar. That way your existing events will have reasonable dates and times, and what you input will also be interpreted in Mountain Time. That should make your calendar editing experience quite natural.

Then of course you have to remember to change the time zone back when you are finished doing your calendar work.
lalosee wrote:The new notice for meeting places in different time zones perhaps applies.
I don't think so. The meeting place is still in the Mountain Time Zone, even if you are temporarily not.
lalosee wrote:Also for the short term I thought about downloading the calendar here into Excell so it could be printed out for the directory need. When I tried to do that it would only print a pdf file which makes it difficult to modify to make corrections and additions. Can you tell me how to get it into an Excell file?

That sounds challenging. I'm not sure what you mean by "directory need" so I don't really understand your goal. The iCal stream that you can obtain by using your Sync URL is probably the most promising route for getting the data you want, but converting that into Excel would be a pretty big project if you do it from scratch, but if you search the Web for converting iCal to Excel you will probably find someone has already done something like this.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

Return to “Calendar”