Scheduling private events

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
jenpratt

Scheduling private events

Post by jenpratt »

I am a building scheduler, but also a stake administrator. I created a stake calendar to put on all of the random events that are scheduled, but don't belong on any specific calendar (i.e. family activities, weddings, funerals, etc.) It has been approved and I can see it in the list of calendars. I can also see it to import events from the old calendar. I cannot, however, see it as an option when I try to add an event. The calendar allows me to add an event without choosing a calendar.

Where do those events show up?

How can I get the calendar I created to show up on the drop-down menu?

Is there a better way to let members know that there is a private event happening, so they know they can't plan anything for that time?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jenpratt wrote:I am a building scheduler, but also a stake administrator. I created a stake calendar to put on all of the random events that are scheduled, but don't belong on any specific calendar (i.e. family activities, weddings, funerals, etc.) It has been approved and I can see it in the list of calendars. I can also see it to import events from the old calendar. I cannot, however, see it as an option when I try to add an event.

Have you subscribed to that calendar? Is the calendar private? My first guess as to why it might not show up is that you didn't subscribe to the calendar. If the calendar is private and you aren't a viewer/editor, then you won't be able to subscribe to it.
jenpratt wrote:The calendar allows me to add an event without choosing a calendar.

Where do those events show up?

That's unusual. I didn't think that was possible. And I have no idea what calendar such events show up under. But if you scheduled a room in a location, then you should be able to see the event when you select the location in Week view under Available Locations.
jenpratt wrote:How can I get the calendar I created to show up on the drop-down menu?

Subscribe to it.
jenpratt wrote:Is there a better way to let members know that there is a private event happening, so they know they can't plan anything for that time?

That's a reasonable approach, and it's the way I do it. You want to book the room, so you need either an event or a reservation. If you're the only building scheduler, a reservation would work, but if there is another building scheduler, then they might inadvertently schedule an event on top of your reservation. With an event, they can't do that. So a reservation is safer, and putting it on a separate calendar for this purpose enables members to choose not to subscribe to it.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

Return to “Calendar”