Organizations and Members cannot see events scheduled in other Ward Calendars

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
KirbyLSmith

Organizations and Members cannot see events scheduled in other Ward Calendars

Post by KirbyLSmith »

I have a real problem with everybody not being able to see events in other ward calendars in their Locations. This was also true in V 1. When members and organizations are trying to find a date for the event they are planning they should be able to see what has already been scheduled. As Building Scheduler, I double booked an event that had been scheduled on the other ward's calendar and only found out about it when the other ward called to complain because they heard from someone in the other ward, they could not see the double booking on their own ward calendar. At the time I was unaware of this limitation.

As a workaround, can we not do away with the Ward Calendars and replace each of them with a separate calendar for each Ward? This would increase the number of calendars but everyone would be able to see all of whatever is scheduled for the Location.
ceolsen

Using individual calendars

Post by ceolsen »

It sounds like you are using a single calendar for all units in your building.
The essence of the new calendar system, as opposed to the "Classic", is that each ward has multiple calendars, and members select which calendar they wish to see, based on their age-and-stage in life. As long as each event reserves the required resource (room or equipment), there should be no "double-booking", and it should not be necessary to see the calendar items from the other Ward.
jrobertfisher

Post by jrobertfisher »

This happens to us all of the time. We're at the Stake Center, we've booked things on the calendar, and others don't see that, so they also book things on their calendar, and then we all show up... Not very good. What can we do to stop this from happening?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jrobertfisher wrote:This happens to us all of the time. We're at the Stake Center, we've booked things on the calendar, and others don't see that, so they also book things on their calendar, and then we all show up... Not very good. What can we do to stop this from happening?
If your calendars and locations are properly set up, this should never happen. We've never seen this happen in our stake. If someone creates an event that actually includes a room or equipment in a location, no one else can save an event that includes that same room or equipment at that location on that date and time.

One point of confusion for some people is the distinction between "Reservations" and "Events". Sometimes people will create a reservation, thinking that means that the resource is booked, which is not true. Only an event actually books a resource.

Another possibility is that some stakes accidentally, or through some automatic action by the system, end up with duplicate locations. If that is the case, it's possible that one unit schedules one "stake center" and another unit schedules the other "stake center"; obviously there will be no conflict, since the system thinks they are two distinct locations. Clearly such duplication should be cleaned up as soon as possible.

The next time you're made aware of double booking happening, look very closely at both events. Did they both actually schedule the same room in the same location at the same time? I doubt that is happening, but if it is, that's an important bug to report. If there are differences, then you will know how to train people to use the system correctly. And of course, make sure that both are actually events, and that one is not a reservation.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
dawnadot

Post by dawnadot »

So what's the point of the reservation if it doesn't book the resource? If setting up an event books the resource, again, what do we need reservations for? Sorry, I'm new at this calling and was just getting the V1.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

dawnadot wrote:So what's the point of the reservation if it doesn't book the resource? If setting up an event books the resource, again, what do we need reservations for? Sorry, I'm new at this calling and was just getting the V1.
The point of a reservation is that it reserves (but does not book) the resource for a particular unit, which stops other units from using the resource. The most common example is in multi-ward buildings, where Ward A might have the cultural hall on 1st and 3rd Wednesdays of the month, and Ward B has it on 2nd and 4th Wednesdays. In that case, Ward B can't create any event that books the cultural hall on the 1st Wednesday of the month. But organizations within Ward A still have to create an event to truly book it. On a 1st Wednesday, Ward A's Young Women may schedule an event that uses the cultural hall. Then the Ward A YM would not be able to play basketball that night.

Read the Making Reservations section of the help system for further details.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

KirbyLSmith wrote:I have a real problem with everybody not being able to see events in other ward calendars in their Locations. This was also true in V 1. When members and organizations are trying to find a date for the event they are planning they should be able to see what has already been scheduled.
In v1 only those with edit rights could see all events with resources. In v2 everyone, this includes those without edit rights, can view all events with resources scheduled. For more information see "Available Locations" section of "Viewing Calendars" in calendar help.

Do not confuse the ability to see scheduled events with resources with being able to view other ward calendars. Members of one ward can only view the calendars of their ward and public stake calendars.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
porterjl

Post by porterjl »

I am a stake clerk. I can only see stake calendars and my own ward's calendars. Because of that, I cannot see any event from a ward other than my own.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

porterjl wrote:I am a stake clerk. I can only see stake calendars and my own ward's calendars. Because of that, I cannot see any event from a ward other than my own.
Although the first statement is true about calendars, the second statement about events for other wards is not accurate. You can indeed see events from any unit for any location that is available to you. As mentioned in the previous post, "In v2 everyone ... can view all events with resources scheduled. For more information see "Available Locations" section of "Viewing Calendars" in calendar help.
rmorrey

Post by rmorrey »

I am the building scheduler for a three-ward building where each ward is from a separate stake. Can all three wards use the new calendar system to schedule events?

Return to “Calendar”