USB Video Capture Devices

Discussions about the desktop video conferencing solution provided by the Church

Moderators: MarchantRR, rodhyde

harddrive

USB Video Capture Devices

Post by harddrive »

I'm working towards being able to broadcast stake conference from multiple locations. This probably won't happen until 2013, but I'm looking at getting things installed at the chapels in my stake to be prepared for that.

I'm thinking about the type of system that I will need at the remote locations. I was thinking of a full desktop with an Osprey card in it, but I thought that might a bit much with a monitor, a keyboard and other stuff.

Now, I know that others are using laptops to encode the video/audio and using one of the two following devices

• Roxio Easy VHS to DVD (USB)
  • Diamond VC500 Diamond VC500 (USB)
My question is will either of these work with the PVC software? If not, has anyone tried? If they work, how good are they?

Thanks for letting me know, because this will weight into my decision on which direction I go.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

harddrive wrote:This probably won't happen until 2013, but I'm looking at getting things installed at the chapels in my stake to be prepared for that.

A lot can change in two years. Computers frequently have a funtional lifetime of 5 years. You might want to hold off until the need is closer.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
harddrive

Post by harddrive »

RussellHltn wrote:A lot can change in two years. Computers frequently have a funtional lifetime of 5 years. You might want to hold off until the need is closer.

Russ, I hear what you are saying. I'm just wondering if the two products that i mentioned will work with PVC.

This way, I will know how to build the wiring in the buildings.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

I've had some experience with the Roxio device with the Meetinghouse Webcast software (but not with PVC yet). With a bit of trial and error we finally got it working OK. I've had no experience with the Diamond unit. If you're thinking of buying the Roxio, you should probably consider the Roxio Video Capture USB instead of the Easy VHS to DVD. It's the exact same USB device, except without the fancy software that will most likely not be needed, and it's a bit less expensive.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
harddrive

Post by harddrive »

Mikerowaved wrote:I've had some experience with the Roxio device with the Meetinghouse Webcast software (but not with PVC yet). With a bit of trial and error we finally got it working OK. I've had no experience with the Diamond unit. If you're thinking of buying the Roxio, you should probably consider the Roxio Video Capture USB instead of the Easy VHS to DVD. It's the exact same USB device, except without the fancy software that will most likely not be needed, and it's a bit less expensive.
Thank you for the information, but I have decided that I will be using the Osprey card for webcasting. I'm looking at what I can use with PVC so that I might not have to purchase a full size computer, with monitor and lug it around when we need to broadcast from a different location. A laptop would make that so much easier.

Return to “Personal Video Conferencing”