Other category with negative EOY forward balance

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
rhahn

Other category with negative EOY forward balance

Post by rhahn »

Our unit has a negative forward balance at the end of 12/31/10 in the Other: Authorized Member Financed Activities category, and the unit leader and stake auditor stated that this negative balance may be due to an update to MLS in the last year or so. They advised me to call Salt Lake to fix it. Can an update in MLS cause this? Whom do I call? What is the phone number? Thanks.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Contact Local Unit Support. But you may want to take a closer look at the numbers. The biggest change is that transactions are entered by posting date, not the entered transaction date as was the case in the old system.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

rhahn wrote:Can an update in MLS cause this? Whom do I call? What is the phone number? Thanks.
Possibly, but not always. Only when the update affects finances. This latest update most definitely could have caused this problem. Quick question - what is the balance forward on your I&E report that you were to print by Oct 16? Does it also have the negative balance forward?

There is nothing wrong with having a negative balance forward, per se. Also, there is nothing you can do about it now. The more important question then is does your current ending balance (Oct 31) match your UFS (will have to wait until you receive Oct's UFS in about a week)? If it does, I see no problem. If it doesn't, you have a bigger problem than having a negative carry-forward balance.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

Another thought - the recent change was to make MLS reports match bank reports, among other things. Look at either your Dec 2010 UFS ending balance or Jan 2011 UFS starting balance for Other. It should exactly match this amount you are now seeing in MLS. Does it?
rhahn

Post by rhahn »

crislapi wrote:Possibly, but not always. Only when the update affects finances. This latest update most definitely could have caused this problem. Quick question - what is the balance forward on your I&E report that you were to print by Oct 16? Does it also have the negative balance forward?
I failed to mention that the current balance is the same as the 12/31/10 balance for that sub-category.
rhahn

Post by rhahn »

RussellHltn wrote:Contact Local Unit Support. But you may want to take a closer look at the numbers. The biggest change is that transactions are entered by posting date, not the entered transaction date as was the case in the old system.
Thank you for the information and suggestions.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”