Building Schedulers or Building Mediators

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
kd7mha

Building Schedulers or Building Mediators

Post by kd7mha »

I was thinking about this last night, with the shift from the classic calendars the Building Schedulers role has also changed to more of a Building Mediator, the Building Scheduler can not create events on any calendar but can only modify existing events at the location that they have been given stewardship over, Perhaps the role name should be changed to reflect this role shift.

(and yes I did send this as feedback)
There are 11 types of people. Those who understand Gray Code and those that don't.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

I don't agree. A building scheduler still has the responsibilities and tasks associated with building scheduling. The title of building mediator connotes a more passive and reactive role with no responsibilities and no tasks associated with scheduling. It is less descriptive as to the roles and responsibilities. But I will agree mediation has taken a greater position in the list of responsibilities.

While the software relieves much of the tasks associated with the input of data and resource availability checking once done by the human, the building scheduler still must do those tasks for those situations not handled by the software. The burden of creating events on a tracking system has been significantly reduced. But to ensure it is done is still the building scheduler's responsibility.

The software is a tool the building scheduler uses. Just because the tool is not solely accessible by the building scheduler does not relief that person from managing the scheduling responsibilities for the building. What happens when the tool is broken or not available? The building scheduler must then use another tool, such as paper and pencil or another computer program, to complete the tasks placed in his or her charge.

Of the two titles, in my opinion, the building scheduler more adequately represents the roles and responsibilities. Building [scheduling] mediator is merely a subset of the roles and responsibilities.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?

Return to “Calendar”