Need MRN to register with FamilySearch

revdarkwolf

Need MRN to register with FamilySearch

Post by revdarkwolf »

I could really use some help here from anyone who has access to the IOS. I need my MRN if it is anyway possible. I have been told by one clerk that I needed to ask the clerk in the town where I was baptized, they told me it would be at the last place I attended church, I keep getting a run around. [Personal Information Redacted - Admin] I am willing to give whatever information is needed in order to get this number. Please advise what my next option should be. I forgot if you can help please contact me at revdarkwolf@cox.net, or revdarkwolf@yahoo.com or if you have any questions. I'm working on family genealogy my new program is Macfamilytree. This is a first for me, there is normally nothing that I cannot find, but this is one of the hardest things I ever had to look up. Thank you for any help that you may give.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I've removed the personal information you posted, as this is a public forum.

The church you currently attend would have that information. All other units would have likely forwarded the information to Church Headquarters and would no longer have it. Based on the information you posted, the ward that covers the area you live in could order your records.

If you don't want to do that, you could try and call Church Headquarters in Salt Lake City, but I'm not sure if they would give out that information.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
revdarkwolf

Post by revdarkwolf »

Thank you I do understand that this is a public site, but I'm searching for this for a long time and I do not currently attend and I feel that it is doing a disservice to the church for me to attend just to get a number. Just as in my opinion it would be wrong for the church to require me to attend in order to get my number. The family tree has fallen into my lap because I am so good at researching, or at least I thought I was until it came to this little number. We have our family traced all the way back to the 1700s and now it's my job to make sure it stays up to date and to pick the next person in line to receive this. I have already suffered one major computer crash and almost lost everything, if it was not for the Blackburn family I would've lost a great deal all because I don't have this number. I do not understand why it would be so hard for someone to pull it out or write it down and send it out in an e-mail. I can supply any proof of identity that would be requested but has to what church I last attended that might have my MRN I would not know where to begin. As for Salt Lake I'm supposed to go to the ward where I was baptized and start their. Since I was 8 years old to just recently at the age of 43 I have lived in over 45 different homes over 20 different towns and who knows how many different churches I've attended. And as for the local ward here in Goodyear Arizona, I have been told is now charging to come to church, I do not pay to worship. I do thank you for the information on where you feel I should start looking, unfortunately I've already been there and done that and have come up short.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

revdarkwolf wrote:Thank you I do understand that this is a public site, but I'm searching for this for a long time and I do not currently attend and I feel that it is doing a disservice to the church for me to attend just to get a number. Just as in my opinion it would be wrong for the church to require me to attend in order to get my number.

I assure you that no one will feel you are doing the Church a disservice if you attend for any reason, even if it is just to get a number. And the Church does not require you to attend in order to get your number -- one way to obtain your number would involve at least connecting with your local ward, but it is not required.
revdarkwolf wrote:The family tree has fallen into my lap because I am so good at researching, or at least I thought I was until it came to this little number. We have our family traced all the way back to the 1700s and now it's my job to make sure it stays up to date and to pick the next person in line to receive this.

It's certainly wonderful to hear that you are so concerned about your family tree and are anxious to keep the information up to date. As you know, the Church feels it is very important for people to stay connected with their families (both the living, as well as deceased ancestors).

There are many wonderful tools available at http://familysearch.org, and as you have most likely already discovered, additional tools are available to members of the Church who login. To create a login account for members, you will need your membership record number, which you are trying to find.
revdarkwolf wrote:I do not understand why it would be so hard for someone to pull it out or write it down and send it out in an e-mail. I can supply any proof of identity that would be requested but has to what church I last attended that might have my MRN I would not know where to begin.

There are many people on this forum who would love to help you in any way they can. But the challenge we face is that most of us are just clerks or leaders or other members of our local congregations. We have the ability to look up information such as you request for people whose membership records are assigned to our own congregations, but we have no ability to find information for anyone else.
revdarkwolf wrote:And as for the local ward here in Goodyear Arizona, I have been told is now charging to come to church, I do not pay to worship.
I'm sorry someone gave you that incorrect information. I can assure you that no one is ever charged in any way to attend Sunday services. All are welcome (including those who may not even be members) at absolutely no charge. There is not even a collection plate or anything else that would give you the slightest pressure to donate or make any payment. You may always feel free to attend with no obligation.
revdarkwolf wrote:I do thank you for the information on where you feel I should start looking, unfortunately I've already been there and done that and have come up short.

The way I see it, you have two options for getting this information:
  1. Contact someone in the local ward where you currently live. You can find out your assigned congregation by entering your address at http://maps.lds.org -- then you can ask them to request your membership records. Then they can give you the membership record number you seek. There will be no charge for this service, and no obligation to attend church. But it is very likely that the local ward will warmly welcome you and invite you to attend and worship with them.
  2. Contact Church headquarters and request the information. This is an unusual path, so I don't know exactly what information you will be asked for in order to verify your identity, but Church headquarters definitely has access to the information if they can verify your identity. You can reach the support line for members and leaders via any the contact methods listed at Local Unit Support. If you call (note the listed phone support hours), you will choose option 4 in the voice menu.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
KenRichins

Post by KenRichins »

Call Family search Support at 1-866-406-1830 and getting help to sign into new.family search will give you access to support personal who can look up your membership number for you and help you setup an account. They will need as a minimum your full name and date of birth, they may need other information to determine your identification so that correct membership number. There is no cost for this service. They will also provide you with any help you need with using these resources.

Return to “FamilySearch Products”