Building scheduler limitations with v2

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
dshep2020

Building scheduler limitations with v2

Post by dshep2020 »

With v1 of the calendar, as a building scheduler I could create an event and drop in on a unsubscribed calendar. Those unsubscribed calendars would be all of the ward calendars. This was extremely helpful in that I could take a call or email and schedule an activity on their particular wards calendar.

In our stake, we also have a "Stake Resource Calendar" where we drop events that don't really need to be on the main stake or individual ward calendars i.e. wedding receptions, recitals, etc... I could create and event on that calendar then edit the calendar where it would reside. Sometimes a ward would want one of those types of events to be on their calendar. I don't have visibility to those unsubscribed calendars anymore. Or .... I can't see what I need to change to gain access to them.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

dshepher wrote:With v1 of the calendar, as a building scheduler I could create an event and drop in on a unsubscribed calendar. Those unsubscribed calendars would be all of the ward calendars. This was extremely helpful in that I could take a call or email and schedule an activity on their particular wards calendar.

In our stake, we also have a "Stake Resource Calendar" where we drop events that don't really need to be on the main stake or individual ward calendars i.e. wedding receptions, recitals, etc... I could create and event on that calendar then edit the calendar where it would reside. Sometimes a ward would want one of those types of events to be on their calendar. I don't have visibility to those unsubscribed calendars anymore. Or .... I can't see what I need to change to gain access to them.
This has been noted in two other threads:
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
dshep2020

Post by dshep2020 »

jdcr256, any chance this is in the queue to get fixed soon?

This is becoming a big problem four our stake. Just in the past week, a couple well intending members are checking the "reserve entire location" for some of their activities and it is preventing others from scheduling rooms. I can't adjust the event because I don't have permissions on their calendar. I realize this is a training issue and have addressed it with the members who have done this on quite a few of their events. It would be nice to have the v1 ability for stake building schedulers to have access to unsubscribed calendars with locations/rooms included.
jdcr256
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jdcr256 »

If you are a building scheduler for that location, you should be able to edit/delete any event on any calendar that books a resource in that location. However, you can't create events on those calendars. So the scenario you mention in post #3 should be something that you can resolve as a building scheduler.

You can see the event in the week view and click to edit it. You should also be able to see the event on the reservation calendar for that location (currently broken, but on the short list to be fixed), and edit it from there.

So, while you no longer have access to the calendars per se, you do have access to the events that use your location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I'm finding that if I "touch" an event, then it gets moved to the stake calendar. The first stake calendar. So suddenly a ward event is now showing up in the stake "Holiday" calendar.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdcr256
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jdcr256 »

RussellHltn wrote:I'm finding that if I "touch" an event, then it gets moved to the stake calendar. The first stake calendar. So suddenly a ward event is now showing up in the stake "Holiday" calendar.
This sounds like a bug that was fixed in the update we rolled out yesterday. Make sure your cache has been cleared and try again. You don't have to save the event if you still see the problem, just make sure that the calendar drop down on the edit screen shows the original calendar the event was on before you tried to edit it.
dshep2020

Post by dshep2020 »

jdcr256 wrote:If you are a building scheduler for that location, you should be able to edit/delete any event on any calendar that books a resource in that location. However, you can't create events on those calendars. So the scenario you mention in post #3 should be something that you can resolve as a building scheduler.

You can see the event in the week view and click to edit it. You should also be able to see the event on the reservation calendar for that location (currently broken, but on the short list to be fixed), and edit it from there.

So, while you no longer have access to the calendars per se, you do have access to the events that use your location.
I agree that I can edit the event, but once I do so, I can only save it to a calendar that I have edit permissions on. For example (a real one btw), a RS secretary creates an activity on her RS calendar. She selects a location in the event but clicks the "use the entire building". Since she created an event with a location, I can see the event in week view. If I need to change the rooms to accommodate another event, I have to save that event to a different calendar, not the sisters RS calendar because of this change in v2. In doing so, she looses visibility to her event unless she is subscribed to to the calendar where I saved the edited event. I can email her and call her with the information...but she cannot pull that event back onto her calendar. Why not allow the same v1 functionality for building schedulers? With v1, I could edit the location resources and save it back on her calendar. I would typically add a note to the description indicating why the event was edited.

Better yet, when I would get an email/call from a non-editor, I could add those events with resources and drop them into the appropriate ward calendar. We asked all the wards to name their calendars with a ward prefix so we could identify and group the unsubscribed calendars. It was very functional and worked very well. This is definitely a step backwards.
dshep2020

Post by dshep2020 »

jdcr256 wrote:This sounds like a bug that was fixed in the update we rolled out yesterday. Make sure your cache has been cleared and try again.
So are you saying the bug fix will allow the event to be saved to the original ward calendar? Want to make sure I understand that correctly. When I open those events, I can only update them to a calendar for which I have edit permission. Maybe I am confused.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jdcr256 wrote:This sounds like a bug that was fixed in the update we rolled out yesterday. Make sure your cache has been cleared and try again. You don't have to save the event if you still see the problem, just make sure that the calendar drop down on the edit screen shows the original calendar the event was on before you tried to edit it.

Perhaps. But at this point I still can't see any calendars other then the stake calendars, so I can't move it back to where it belongs. (I'm a default admin and Building Scheduler)

I noticed that for other events, I can see just that one calendar the event comes from, but that doesn't help me fix this problem.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdcr256
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jdcr256 »

dshepher wrote:So are you saying the bug fix will allow the event to be saved to the original ward calendar? Want to make sure I understand that correctly. When I open those events, I can only update them to a calendar for which I have edit permission. Maybe I am confused.

Yes, in the original release, editing an event that booked a resource would only allow you to save it to a calendar you had edit rights to. The bug fix we put out yesterday at 4pm fixed that bug so the calendar field will now include the original calendar the event belongs to. I don't know why the fix is not working for you, but I'll continue to investigate.

Return to “Calendar”