Locations & Room duplicates

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
mmkids6

Locations & Room duplicates

Post by mmkids6 »

In V1 our stake already had resources locations setup as a generic location (i.e Stake Center) versus the Wards that meet in the Stake Center. Under V2, it not only brought those resources over, but it also created other resources, which I am assuming were generated by the church based on which Wards meet in what building. Are these the ones the church is expecting us to use and we need to delete the others or are they intended for some other use? In addition, I can not see what is schedule for a specific resource as I did before. The calendars are blank, even after enabling them and puting in the time zone. I also can not delete the new locations the church created, but I can the ones we created. Why?:D
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

mmkids6 wrote:In V1 our stake already had resources locations setup as a generic location (i.e Stake Center) versus the Wards that meet in the Stake Center. Under V2, it not only brought those resources over, but it also created other resources, which I am assuming were generated by the church based on which Wards meet in what building. Are these the ones the church is expecting us to use and we need to delete the others or are they intended for some other use? In addition, I can not see what is schedule for a specific resource as I did before. The calendars are blank, even after enabling them and puting in the time zone. I also can not delete the new locations the church created, but I can the ones we created. Why?

The locations that are officially associated with your stake's units in the FM database (FMAT) are automatically added to your calendar, and cannot be deleted, as explained in this post.

For most stakes, it is very helpful to have the associated locations automatically added to the calendar system, and so they will probably use them. But that doesn't mean that you have to use them. If you don't want to use them, you can deactivate them by unchecking the box labeled "This location can be scheduled by Wards and Stakes" for each such location.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
mmkids6

Post by mmkids6 »

Is there a way to edit the name then? When I did, it created a new location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

mmkids6 wrote:Is there a way to edit the name then?
Yes, you can edit the name for any location, even those that were automatically created for locations in the FMAT database.

Just do the following:
  1. go to Settings > Locations & Rooms
  2. click on the location you want to change
  3. click Edit
  4. The Name field has become an editable text field, so just edit or replace the old name.
  5. click Save
mmkids6 wrote:When I did, it created a new location.
I can't imagine how the above procedure would create a new location. If you accidentally added a new location, you can delete it (you can't delete locations that came from FMAT).
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

mmkids6 wrote:Is there a way to edit the name then? When I did, it created a new location.
Currently there is no way for you to change or edit the name of a location provided by the FM database. I doubt that the FM Group would be willing to change the name - but you could ask.

My curiosity is up. Why would you need to rename a location?
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jdlessley wrote:Currently there is no way for you to change or edit the name of a location provided by the FM database. I doubt that the FM Group would be willing to change the name - but you could ask.

Why do you say that it can't be done? I described the steps to change the name. It is easily done, and I have done it for all the buildings in my stake -- and they all came from the FM database.
jdlessley wrote:My curiosity is up. Why would you need to rename a location?
The FM database doesn't know how we refer to our buildings. We have names that everyone in the stake understands, so those are the only names that make sense to use in the calendar. Using any other names would be hopelessly confusing to stake members. I can't imagine one good reason for not renaming locations.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

aebrown wrote:Why do you say that it can't be done? I described the steps to change the name. It is easily done, and I have done it for all the buildings in my stake -- and they all came from the FM database.
It wasn't possible when I was training building schedulers. I ran into the same problem as mmkids6. But that was early in v1.
aebrown wrote:The FM database doesn't know how we refer to our buildings. We have names that everyone in the stake understands, so those are the only names that make sense to use in the calendar. Using any other names would be hopelessly confusing to stake members. I can't imagine one good reason for not renaming locations.
I have never been in a stake where the names were confusing. Most of them are named after the unit in which the building resides and everyone knows to what location or building the name refers.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jdlessley wrote:It wasn't possible when I was training building schedulers. I ran into the same problem as mmkids6. But that was early in v1.

I don't recall exactly when I edited location names in v1, but it was quite early, since I was working with the new Calendar shortly after it was available. And I never had any problems.
jdlessley wrote:I have never been in a stake where the names were confusing. Most of them are named after the unit in which the building resides and everyone knows to what location or building the name refers.
When you have multiple units in a building, that's not a very practical naming convention. But in any case, the FMAT database is certainly not guaranteed to be using the names that are commonly used within the stake, so I'm glad that the locations can be renamed.
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

mmkids6 wrote:Is there a way to edit the name then? When I did, it created a new location.
aebrown wrote:I can't imagine how the above procedure would create a new location. If you accidentally added a new location, you can delete it (you can't delete locations that came from FMAT).
We had duplicates created as well, during v1. I suspect the system "blessed" us with them, and wouldn't necessarily describe it as we "accidentally" did it. Perhaps a "bug" during one of the many FM database updates, as the developers have said the FM database is reloaded periodically to the calendar to pick-up any changes or new buildings. We've edited the names again in v2 with no duplicates, but I'm watching it close this time. I'd suggest we all watch for these duplicates.
jdlessley wrote:My curiosity is up. Why would you need to rename a location?
We also have used naming conventions for years for our buildings, each with three wards, and will keep them by editing the location name in the calendar. The stake center will always be the stake center, and not the three ward's names as the FM database calls it.
mmkids6

Post by mmkids6 »

I just wanted to had building at the end of their name. Right now it just says the wards name, so I was adding "building" at the end so that it would eliminate any confusion that there may be.

Return to “Calendar”